Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting from Microstation to AutoCAD

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
63049 Views, 31 Replies

Converting from Microstation to AutoCAD

Is there a tool in Microstation that converts .dgn to .dwg without any loss of styles, lineweights, etc?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

Microstation supports XREFs. The messages are telling you some XREFs are missing. Another reason you may not be getting what you expect is Microstation supports multiple model spaces in a single DGN file. Thus when you import you have the option of selecting which model space to import from the DGN. Be aware of that option as you may find there are multiple models in the file. I know that older versions of Map (i.e. 2004) do not support multiple model spaces in the import options so if you don't have that option you'll need to find another avenue for getting the data.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 22 of 32
mariec
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your response. I think I'll have to ask the supplier for a DWG exported from Microstation, as there's only one project location available on the import settings yet it still can't find the additional files.

Thanks!

Message 23 of 32

Select Series 2 of Microstation

Message 24 of 32

Worked in Microstation 20 years and never operated in the AutoCAD environment. What is the difficulty level, in your opinion transitioning from Microstation to AutoCAD?
Message 25 of 32
david.dixon
in reply to: STEVEN3231

with 20 years experience in Microstation, you should little problem moving over to ACAD.  It's just different terminology and most commands in ACAD are reverse to how Microstation works.  But it's all very similar too.  I am an AutoCAD user who learned Microstation.  Been using AutoCAD for 30 years and Microstation for 20 years now.  AutoCAD version 2.6 and Microstation 95. Good luck with the conversion over.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 26 of 32
rrien

I have been reading this conversation and I have to wonder, how Autodesk handled the convertion of DGN to AutoCAD and back for CalTrans. They had to have solved these issues for them long ago, why not release that fix to the rest of us?

Tags (1)
Message 27 of 32
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: rrien

The tool that Caltrans is using in Civil 3D 2016 is the same one in the shipping product. They have some very specific seed and mapping files that they use for the conversion as well as custom AutoCAD fonts that match their DGN RSC fonts. These work with the standard export tool that ships with Civil 3D.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 28 of 32
Llam.Tech

Hello, you can try the other way around. Instead of importing dgn file from AutoCAD. Why not open ustation and export the dgn file to dwg or dxf?

Message 29 of 32

Civil 3D can read and write DGN files and MicroStation can read or write DWG files.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 32
Llam.Tech

Thanks for the comment Peter, you are correct.

Message 31 of 32
mcruzX5PG8

I tried putting the RSC file is in the AutoCAD search path, and it didn't work for me. Could it be that I placed them in the wrong location? I would appreciate some guidance on this.
Message 32 of 32

I placed the RSC files that I received from our client in the AutoCAD search path. But it didn't work for me. Maybe I placed them in the wrong directory? I would appreciate some guidance on this if possible.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report