Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted GIS to Cad question

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
dmmeehan
1222 Views, 29 Replies

Converted GIS to Cad question

I have used the map interface of C3D to create a drawing from GIS exported shp files. Then Converted the map to an autocad drawing. The problem now is that I cannot see the additional data within the shp objects while viewing the file in Vanilla Acad 2013. After converting the map, I checked the vanilla Autocad 2013 interface while still on the C3D machine and could see the additional data in the properties pallette, but not on the Vanilla only 2013 machine. Is there a method to convert this data over?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
dmmeehan
in reply to: tcorey

I cannot post clients data. I want the data to be visible in some manner inside vanilla. I would prefer the data show in the properties panel when an object is selected but any method would be good. I have requested an eval version of Mapworks and hope it will do the job where Autodesk cannot.

Message 22 of 30
dmmeehan
in reply to: dmmeehan

I just grabbed the trial of Mapworks from Dotsoft. Thanks Terry! Within 10 minutes I had installed, imported and saved the gis data to an autocad dwg. The Xdlist command now brings the object data to the screen! I will no longer have to bother our civil engineers...too much.

My only concern is after uninstalling mapworks, will the data still list with the Xdlist command?

Message 23 of 30
TerryDotson

The Xdlist command now brings the object data to the screen!

Try turning on the MapWorks Extended Data Edit palette, whenever you select an object it will appear in a PROPS like list.

My only concern is after uninstalling mapworks, will the data still list with the Xdlist command?

The data will remain available to anyone that can open the drawing.  We don't create custom objects (or data) that requires our application.   For example, anyone with modest lisp skills could read that data and work with it inside plain AutoCAD.

Message 24 of 30
dmmeehan
in reply to: TerryDotson

After working with the file for a bit, it appears that all the object data is not imported. In particular, the diameter and length of each section of piping. The data shows when viewed with Map 3D but the field is blank in the mapworks imported data. Any tips?

Message 25 of 30
dmmeehan

When importing the GIS data there are several files not included in the import. Each group of objects has the following files in addition to the .shp & .xml that are listed on the import: .shx .dbf .idx .prj .sbn .sbx

How can I get the data in all these files? It's looking like I will have to manually re-type all the object data that i need to look at before proceeding with this project.

Message 26 of 30
Neilw_05

Those files are used by GIS software. Map uses the parts it needs when you import the shapefile. As long as you selected all the fields from the shapefile when doing the import you should see all the attributes in the object data. However since you are using a custom solution there may be an issue with that application.

FYI, the attributes for the shapefile are stored in the .dbf file which is the old dBase format. You can view the contents of the file with Access or Excel or any other application that can read dBase files.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 27 of 30
TerryDotson

We (along with Map) read the fields and data from the DBX file.  We would need the data set to test with in order to reproduce the problem.  If you can, email it to me and direct any technical questions on MapWorks via email as well.

Message 28 of 30
gregkogan

I am trying to find the way how to work with data I just imported into AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015.

I utilized the following connection link to data base: Add SQL Server Spatial Connection (see also attached), so basically I am importing entire City as a data link (attached). The line work I am getting as a result of this import is "Map feature Lines".

I was wondering if someone could advise me how to do the following:

1. To be able to cut a part on the imported data within project limit and save it as a working AutoCAD project;
  2. To be able to convert the "map feature lines" into polylines, features lines, etc (AutoCAD objects with X,Y,Z), in order to create a surface and other AutoCAD Civil 3D objects.

Thank you

Message 29 of 30
Murph_Map
in reply to: gregkogan

First to get just the area you want for the project you can create a spatical query when you connect to the features/data or right click on the feature layer name in the map display manager and select query by filter. 

Then to convert it to dumb autocad enities you can used the "_mapexportcurrentmaptodwg" command. Beware if you have styles using hatches or fill and labels it will create a bloated dwg file. 

Another method to get the features to Autocad enities is right click on each layer in the display manager and select Export Layer Data to SDF" then use mapimport to import those sdf files into Civil3D. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 30 of 30
gregkogan
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks.

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report