AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Distinguished Contributor
dmmeehan
Message 1 of 27 (564 Views)

Converted GIS to Cad question

564 Views, 26 Replies
12-20-2012 06:13 AM

I have used the map interface of C3D to create a drawing from GIS exported shp files. Then Converted the map to an autocad drawing. The problem now is that I cannot see the additional data within the shp objects while viewing the file in Vanilla Acad 2013. After converting the map, I checked the vanilla Autocad 2013 interface while still on the C3D machine and could see the additional data in the properties pallette, but not on the Vanilla only 2013 machine. Is there a method to convert this data over?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 27 (560 Views)

Re: Converted GIS to Cad question

12-20-2012 06:19 AM in reply to: dmmeehan

Hi,

>> [...] could see the additional data in the properties pallette, but not on the Vanilla only 2013 machine

To see objectdata (the attributive information attached to geometry-objects) is a function from Map3D. You can use it in Civil3D as it has Map3D built in, but such data can't be used/visualized/modified in plain AutoCAD.

Sorry, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 3 of 27 (557 Views)

12-20-2012 06:47 AM in reply to: dmmeehan

From your description I think you're using FDO and then saving as a AutoCAD map. If you use a Map Query you can select object data to import. The objects and data you query will come in as AutoCAD entities.

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 4 of 27 (540 Views)

12-20-2012 08:47 AM in reply to: dmmeehan

Plain Autocad has the ability to link cad graphics to a database table. The function is called dbConnect. You can find info about it in the help system under that topic.

The challenge for you is how to get the object data (the extended attributes which was created by Map when you imported the shape files) into a linked dbConnect data table that you can view in plain Autocad. As I have not gone through that workflow I can't offer advice, but I'm sure it can be done.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 5 of 27 (525 Views)

12-20-2012 02:15 PM in reply to: dmmeehan

The problem is that Object Data can only be accessed inside Map/Civil3D.  We (DotSoft) have created a free tool that runs inside of Map/Civil3D and converts Map Object Data to Extended Entity Data.  This data can be listed with AutoCAD's XDLIST command and can be manipulated with custom LISP routines, etc.

Download MOD2EED (Map Object Data to Extended Entity Data) in the Free Stuff section of the site below.

Optionally, using MapWorks Base, the data can be edited and used to create thematic maps and much more.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 6 of 27 (513 Views)

12-21-2012 12:06 AM in reply to: TerryDotson

Thanks Terry, but I found a little bug in your MOD2EED routine.

If you choose the "Delete Object Data" option, the existing OD definitions remain: they are not purged.

Moreover, when you open back a drawing containing XDATA, commands like _MAPQUERY or _MAPEXPORT are not able to handle the extended data (it's not up to you, sir).

If you could add a switch to convert XDATA to classic OD, it would be perfect.

dmmeehan
Message 7 of 27 (504 Views)

12-21-2012 04:47 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

I attempted a dbconnect from within Vanilla Acad but their was only one configured database in the table and it was not functional. Also the table did not appear to be referencing the directories with the data in them. This morning I will attempt the map query-import method and post my success/failure. I may even go for a shot at the DotSoft freebie if that doesn't work. Thanks Terry! I've long wanted to try out a full dotsoft package here at work, but they are not big into lisp/addons that are not directly industry related...

Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 8 of 27 (501 Views)

12-21-2012 04:59 AM in reply to: dmmeehan

If you use Map to label your entities with the data you want to see before exporting it to a .dwg, the labels will be save as text in the .dwg. Not knowing your specific application, you might also want to check into open source GIS software to visualize, modify and export the GIS data. Two good ones are Map Window and Quantum GIS.

dmmeehan
Message 9 of 27 (488 Views)

12-21-2012 06:46 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

I just tried using mapimport within Map 3D. Then while importing I selected the data column and chose create object data. After the import finished I checked an object and could see the extended object data. However, when this file is opened with Vanilla acad 2013, the data is not visible. Did I not import the data correctly still? I hate having to keep interrupting our Civil guy to use his installation...I also hate when Autodesk products can't talk to each other....Rant finished...

Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 10 of 27 (485 Views)

12-21-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: dmmeehan

To use that method, you need to Query the .dwg with the imported data from another new drawing. Then the objects and data will be placed in the new drawing.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs