Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert surface boundary to polyline

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jamesbarnett
25227 Views, 8 Replies

Convert surface boundary to polyline

I need to convert my surface boundary to a polyline so I can use it to clip another surface. Is there a simpler way than tracing it with the polyline command?

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: jamesbarnett

Yeah. Turn your border on within your surface style, select surface and within contextual ribbon there is a extract objects icon, then a dialogue will pop up asking what you would like to extract. Uncheck everything except for border, hit ok. Border will be extracted as a 3dpolyline. Turn off border within surface style, CONVERT3DPOLYS, command to convert into polyline.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 9
dgordon
in reply to: sjg

also after getting a polyline from this method remember to use drawing cleanup with the simplify linear objects and set it to 0.5 tolerance to reduce the number of vertices drastically.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 9
jamesbarnett

Thanks guys!

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 5 of 9
Buzz0m

Hi,

stumbled upon your post searching for a solution to a problem of mine...

anyway I just wanted to tell you about the adding boundary option of using a surface as the hiding object. This way the clipping of your surface A is dynamically linked to the other surface (B).

The way you get to use a surface as the hiding object is to normally create a boundary in the definition. Use type: hide, and then when you are asked to select object press "s". This way Civil lets you select an existing surface. However! The surface used as hiding boundary CAN NOT have islands. If it does Civil will give you an warning like "error adding boundary"...

- F

Message 6 of 9
sfreemancad

I hate how this thread is 6 years old and i cant make a new quesiton beyond this one.... I know you can select the surface and extract the boundary or contour data, the issue im having is that when i extract the boundary the elevations along the boundary are generalized to one number and its not even the high or low point its some sort of average... as I am making a grading plan for a ramp, and have a surface for the ramp, i need to retain all the correct elevations in order to produce an accurate grading plan. PLEASE HELP!!!

Message 7 of 9
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: sfreemancad

When the boundary is extracted it becomes a 3dpolyline with elevation. when you select the 3dpoly it shows up as one elevation, but it you go through each vertex they all have different elevations. View in Object Viewer and you should see the elevation differences. You can also check you're surface style and check the Boundary tab and see if it uses Surface Elevation or flattens.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 8 of 9
sfreemancad

ok, then why when i make the grading plan do i have a discrepancy between the proposed surface and the grade to EG. It looks like the ramp surface is floawting above EG which the grade should be between the two..

Message 9 of 9

Is this the mapclean command?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report