Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert multiple polylines to arcs

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jbear0000
36460 Views, 7 Replies

Convert multiple polylines to arcs

I have many segmented polylines that I need to turn into arcs. See the attached image for the method I use to create an arc from a single polyline. I need to do this to thousands of polylines. Does anyone know of a lisp that could do this? Or maybe some other method that can do many polylines at once?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: jbear0000

Unfortunately, the aecccreatearcbybestfit command is not exposed to VisualLISP, so no luck there.

If you don't need the Best Fit functionality of that command, you can use Pedit, Multiple, Fit curve. That would do them all in one fell swoop. It won't be a single arc through the entire pline, but it will have tangent curve segments. Depending on your need for speed vs. your need to obtain a single best-fit curve, this might work as a solution. It would be fast, that's for sure.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8
jbear0000
in reply to: tcorey

I figured out a way to do it. First I use Pedit to fit a curve like tcorey suggested. Then I use mapclean and select Simplify Objects, set the tolerance to 1 and check the Create Arcs check box. This creates 2d polylines which can then be exploded to get arcs.

Message 4 of 8
controlsgirl

jbear, what is mapclean?
Message 5 of 8
troma
in reply to: controlsgirl

Type MAPCLEAN at the commandline.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 8
jbear0000
in reply to: controlsgirl

Mapclean is a command, type it and mess around with it.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Haha! I know this thread is like 6 years old, but came across it anyway trying to look for another option to do this. What I've found is that if you select multiple polylines, type "PE" for polyline edit, choose 'FIT' and hit enter, you'll end up with a curve line. Next, look in the PROPERTIES window under Misc and choose the dropdown option for 'Fit/Smooth.' Instead of 'Curve Fit' choose 'None.' Bam! Problem solved. 

Message 8 of 8
khshohag69
in reply to: Anonymous

opps! 
It works.. 
Thanks a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report