Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Autodesk Land Desktop Issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
fcernst
383 Views, 6 Replies

Convert Autodesk Land Desktop Issue

When I convert LDD points in my drawing the process is not preserving their Original Layer when I have that box checked, and it is not setting the Label Style in the new point group I'm creating in the conversion process to my chosen style I have selected in the Conversion dialog box.

To set the style, I have to go into the newly created Point Group properties dialog box, set the Label Style, then Update the Point Group.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: fcernst

The behavior you describe indicates that you have the setting "Disable Description Keys" set to false. Also, the Point Label Style you assign in the dialog is only for the Points themselves, not the Point Group.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 7
tcorey

To get Preseve Original Point Layers to work, you need to turn off Description Keys.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
fcernst
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thank you Jeff!

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 7
fcernst

The options in this dialog box logically contradict themselves.

For example, I am consciously making a decision to 'Preserve the Original Point Layers" by toggling a check box that is conspicuously located, all by itself, at the bottom of the dialog box.

I believe it makes logical sense to Override the description key layer setting function for the creation point layer when you Check this box. Not be required to dive in and find the drop down toggle to disable description keys. This process can be smarter than that.

Same goes for when you set the default Point Label style in this Conversion dialog box. When you consciously make those decisions in this Dialog Box before creating these new points, the description key layer/style setting algorithm should be temporarily Overridden, for this LDD point conversion process, and honor those selections.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 7
Jeff_M

I sort of agree. What I'd like to see is the inability to set those options when the Description Keys are enabled, this should then be clear that the DK's have control. But, short of that (IOW, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the UI to be changed) just know that ALL point creation commands work the same way...if the DK's are enabled, they govern for all aspects of the created points.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 7
fcernst
in reply to: Jeff_M

Right. That's good to know about all Point creation, thanks.

I would like to see on this Conversion Dialog box:

• A Check Box at the top, conspicously located by itself, to clearly toggle on/off Description Keys. Not have it buried.

The Preserve Point Layers check box located at the bottom, out by itself,  conspicously presents itself as the last option to consider before pressing the OK button. To be able to toggle it with description keys still active, and have it do absolutely nothing, is not elegant.

Preserving the layer name for the LDD points is a popular option when converting LDD points for good bookkeeeping purposes. I can see why it was placed at the bottom for the user to easily select. LDD points in our workflow typically come from surveyors who have included the date the shots were taken in the layer name.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report