Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert 2D Polyline to 3D Polyline

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ashroads
9739 Views, 10 Replies

Convert 2D Polyline to 3D Polyline

I'm working with C3D 2011.

I have a large number of EP shots along a roadway. I drew a lwpolyline connecting each point with a node snap (the entire line is at the elevation of the first point). I need each polyline vertex at the EP elevation.

Is there a way to convert my existing lwpolyline to a 3dpolyline AND have each vertex of the 3dpolyline inherit the elevation of the EP point/node that it was snapped to without redrawing the whole line using the 3dpoly command?

Thanks

Andrew

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: ashroads

If you have the points added to a Surface already you can use that Surface. Otherwise create a Surface and add the EP points. Then use the 2d polyline to create a Proximity Breakline.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
neilyj666

Not sure if this is possible - hopefully someone will prove it is possible...!!!!

However, if the point numbers of the EP shots are continuous (or even if not), you can also use the transparent 'PN command

Command: 3DPOLY

Specify start point of polyline: 'pn

>>Enter point number: 1,35,34-42,3-12 

The above joins points in the order of number and the elevation is that of the point object in each case

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 11
neilyj666

The proximity breakline will only "inherit" the elevations, they will not exist on the breakline.

If you do have a surface, you could create a featureline from the 2D poly and extract the levels that way - this will create a true 3d entity.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
AllenJessup
in reply to: neilyj666

Well. That's what I get for extrapolating from LDD. I haven't used proximity breaklines for years. Thanks for correcting me.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
neilyj666

No worries - I also thought that was what proximity breaklines did until I got very weird contours in a surface I was building.......!!!!!!

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
ashroads

Thanks all. I'll try creating a small test surface and converting my pline to a feature line to see if that gets me to where I need to be. Otherwise, I should be able to create 3dpoly with point ranges fairly quickly. I appreciate the input.

Message 8 of 11
mathewkol
in reply to: neilyj666

Actually, what happens with Proximity breeaklines is that new Standard breaklines get created and defined for the surface.  they just don't show in the DWG.  Unless you want them to.  After creating proximity breaklines, go to the Surface Toolspace and find the breakline set you just added.  "Insert into drawing".  You'll have 3d polylines.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 11
jmayo-EE

Create the surface with the points as stated, use the create feature line from object command and then use the elevations from surface command w/o adding intermediate vertices.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
TerryDotson

If you were to consider third party software, our MapWorks Base module contains a 2D>3D by Points tool.  Simply select your LwPolyline and your done, it's now a 3dPoly with elevations of the AECC Points.

Message 11 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:

Actually, what happens with Proximity breeaklines is that new Standard breaklines get created and defined for the surface.  they just don't show in the DWG.  Unless you want them to.  After creating proximity breaklines, go to the Surface Toolspace and find the breakline set you just added.  "Insert into drawing".  You'll have 3d polylines.

Does this happen only if you have set the convert proximity breaklines to standard option to Yes??

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report