Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling contour display based on slope

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
normans
496 Views, 3 Replies

Controlling contour display based on slope

Does anyone know of way to limit the minor contours depending on the cross slope?

I want to not display them in very steep areas, as they all melt together and we don't have enough ink in our last plotter cartridge.  Our plotter is so obsolete that we can't get anymore and I just need to plot this last map before I go on vacation.  I'm going to look for work at a place that can keep up with the pace of technology while on vacation.

Thanks and happy April Fool's Day (my birthday!)

Norman

Civil 3D 2015 SP 2, 64 bit
Dell Precision T5600, 16 GB
Win 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: normans

Create two surfaces (one with a display showing the smaller contour interval for the normal areas and one with a display showing the larger contour interval for the steep areas) .

Paste the complex surface into both of the surfaces and set the display of the complex surface to a No Display style.

Draw polylines around the area that you want to transition between the two styles.

Now use a combination of hide and outer boundaries in order to prevent the two new surfaces from having overlapping areas (alternatively you really only need to create the hide boundary in the surface that has the smaller contour interval, since the one with the larger contour interval would fall in behind the smaller interval in the normal areas).

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 4
Neilw_05
in reply to: normans

There are no settings that do what you want. A couple of workarounds that come to mind are:

Develop a strategy that utilize replicas of the surface displayed with different contour intervals and apply masks, hide boundaries, etc.

Explode the surface and trim the unwanted contours

I think it will require a lot of manual work no matter how you do it.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 4
normans
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks Kati and Neil, I will pursue your suggestions. I think I understand and will attempt to do that. Does sound like a lot of work. Thanks again, Norman
Civil 3D 2015 SP 2, 64 bit
Dell Precision T5600, 16 GB
Win 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report