Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contours in Map 3D

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
normans
655 Views, 4 Replies

Contours in Map 3D

Perhaps someone could spare a couple minutes to educate me as I am ignorant of Map 3D.

I have sent a C3D drawing to a client that contained a fairly simple surface. They are using Map 3D to view it (another company does their engineering) and cannot view the contours. The rest of the drawing is there (polylines) and the contour labels are present. I have dowloaded a trial version of Map3D and trying to figure something out but I thought someone might have pity on me and point me in the right direction......Thanks.

Civil 3D 2015 SP 2, 64 bit
Dell Precision T5600, 16 GB
Win 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: normans

Map can only display C3D objects such as surfaces as proxy graphics which does not provide the ability to edit or manipulate the objects. The recommended workflow for sharing C3D drawings with non-C3D users is to use the Export to Autocad tool (in the File pull down menu). This tool will convert all C3D objects into dumb cad graphics that can be consumed by any Autocad compatible software.

Be aware that you must use the Export to Autocad tool to convert the objects, not the Save As <dwg version> option.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 5
normans
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks for the info, neilw. I appreciate it.

I will try that first thing tomorrow when returning to work. Back to the book!

Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 4 of 5
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: normans

They are probably wanting the topography model in map. Map will not use Tin surface models (Triangular faces) so you need to create a Dem file (Square faces).

To do this you can use either of these two methods. I sudgest undertaking both to see which works best for your surface.

1. Create Cogo points on a X,Y Grid then create a new surface from these points.

2. Perform a Surface Edit "Smooth Surface" use grid method.

For each of the above methods a surface will be created but will not be very true to the original c3D model, the smaller the spacing the better the quality but breaklines will not be held.

Next export the selected surface to Dem GeoTiff format, this will enable them to add a data connection to the surface Dem file which will be intelligent in map and they can use for anaylisis.

" I have dowloaded a trial version of Map3D" You already have the core of Map3D functionality, Civil3D is built on the back of Map. Enter the planning and analysis workspace and its all there - Give or take a few functions.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 5 of 5
normans
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thank you for the info.

I did the export > DWG and this seemed to work - I haven't heard for sure. Not sure if they are going beyond just viewing the dwg.

I appreciate your time.  I will digest this along with the 50 other things and then the turkey will be ready hopefully!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report