Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour lines not showing

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Harold_Alberto
3738 Views, 10 Replies

Contour lines not showing

Hi All,

We recently received a LiDAR data in the form of an .asc file.  Brought it fine into Civil 3d. 

However, the level data is in mm so levels are showing as 98450 instead of 98.45.  The level ranges from 98450 to 166260.

When I create a surface and set the style to show contours, it only displays contour lines below 100,000.  Is this a limit in Civil 3D or am I missing some setting somewhere?  I'm using the UKIE template btw. 

TIA.

Harold

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Change your "Level Of Detail" you can find it under the View Layout tap. Be sure that it is off.
Have a blessed day!

Message 3 of 11

Thank you but I already have it off.

Message 4 of 11
mgreenDLZ
in reply to: Harold_Alberto

In Toolspace, select the Settings Tab and expand the Surface > Label Styles > Contour and right click the style in use and pick "Edit". From there, under the Layout Tab, look in the Text category to find the Contents Property and click the ellipses in the Value column. When you select that, you will be able to adjust the parameters and precision of the elevation to appear. Click the Properties drop-down in the Properties Tab and select Surface Elevation. 

Don't forget to click the Arrow by the Properties drop-down to confirm the recent changes.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mitch

Message 5 of 11
troma

Do you want to deal with it in mm or convert to m?  There have been a few discussion on how to scale x & y but not z; I'm sure you could use a similar method to scale the z by 0.001 without scaling x & y.  Might be better way to go.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 11
Harold_Alberto
in reply to: mgreenDLZ

Thank you Mitch.

I am however not missing contour labels but contour lines above 100000 level. 

I think it is a limit in Civil 3D.  In reality a level of 100,000 (m or feet) is way above any ground feature!  🙂

Message 7 of 11
Harold_Alberto
in reply to: troma

Since the LiDAR data is in mm, I don't mind working in mm.  We only need to produce a contour plan for now until we get the GIS data with the right units.

Another option I can think of is to set the Point Cloud style to show 1000 range intervals and trace over.  But that would take time due to the size. 

Message 8 of 11
mgreenDLZ

I'm sorry, I must have read the problem too quickly. I thought you were saying you had an issue with not being able to display the contour labels the way you would like to see them.

Message 9 of 11

I am now trying to create a Surface Points to CSV report and will edit the levels from Excel. 

Not sure if it would work though, it's a large surface with millions of points.

Message 10 of 11
dgordon

I'm pretty sure that excell won't accept a million points from a file.    I think it even has problems with 100k points.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 11 of 11
Harold_Alberto
in reply to: dgordon

I thought so.  Even the report is taking ages.  Guess we have to wait for the correct data.  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks everyone! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report