Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour labels visibility

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
RalphBrown99
1589 Views, 7 Replies

Contour labels visibility

Hi:

I am trying to make my contour labels visible, indepently of the Visible status of the contours in the surface style of the original surface that I am working on. I have to do this due the final topo looks strange in the borders so I am displaying another contours -that do not have elevation- and make look the drawing better. The problem is that if I turn off the Visible property of the contours, the labels turn off even that they were created in a different layer and attached to a label style with its own layer property.

Just in case you need more details, do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Thanks in advance

Rafael Moreno

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: RalphBrown99

Use a layer within the surface style for your contours and then you can simply turn that layer off and the contours labels will remain.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 8
RalphBrown99
in reply to: BrianHailey

Hi Brian:

Thank you very much for the quick response. I tried this and it works, the problem is that I do have several objects and all of them attached different Surface Styles. These surface styles call the same layers to display the contours so if I turn off the layers, the contours of all objects are going to disappear. I know that you told me that I have to create antoher layer for this surface but in this case I have to create several for the other surfaces.

Is there another solution?

Thanks

Rafael Moreno

Message 4 of 8
arcallupe

Explode the labels.

Message 5 of 8
RalphBrown99

Hi Brian:

Thanks for your answer. I will keep this as a solution. I have a quick question...do I need antoherh thread?

Thanks

Rafael

Message 6 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: arcallupe

@arcallupe wrote:

Explode the labels.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't explode the labels! If your surface changes, the labels won't update. Simply copy the surface style and change the layers the contours are using. Do this as many times as necessary.

NEVER EXPLODE ANYTHING IN CIVIL 3D EXCEPT AS A LAST RESORT! The only last resort I would use is, "I have to get this out today and I don't understand how the program works so I'll explode it for now but as soon as I get a chance I'll figure out a way to do this without exploding". 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
troma
in reply to: BrianHailey

Sometimes I think we need a thumbs-down 'anti-kudo' button for some posts.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 8
ytzvib

Hi,

You can make the layer for the surface non printable and it will print only the labels.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report