Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Surface and Data point

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Neptuno8881
470 Views, 5 Replies

Contour Surface and Data point

I'm working on a topo survey and the contours are crossing each others (See attached pic) and what I did was edit the surface by adding points. I know that these points are fake, but how does this affect the terrain surface for design point of view? I did try swapping edge and deleting lines but makes it worse. Also as you can see in the pic, I don't see the added points like it did back C3D 2008. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Neptuno8881

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

You can see the added points by editing the surface style, and checking that the points visability is set to on. (see image)

I cant figure why you are having contour trouble.  Is the drawing of a resonable size that you can post it to the Discussion Group?

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 3 of 6
troma
in reply to: Neptuno8881

I think you should check out what the contour smoothing is set to in your surface style.  On steep hills with not quite enough data, the smoothing factor will cause the contours to cross as in your picture.  Turning the smoothing down a notch or two will probably help.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 6
Neptuno8881
in reply to: Neptuno8881

I did change the smoothing setting and it worked. But the only way to get the countour to not cross each other was to set it all the way down which doesn't looks good.

Any other option?

Thanks.

Neptuno8881

Message 5 of 6

Since the dwg. is too big, I trimmed all, but the area in question.

Could you tell me the answer of my previous question about adding points to the surface?

Thanks.

Neptuno8881

Message 6 of 6

The question I had, looking at the surface was do you have any other data than the points?  Swapping one edge can make a great change in the display of the surface.

I re-created the surface using the _All Points point group to see if I would have the same contour problem you were having (I did, believe it is the smoothing settings)

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report