Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Labels

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
274 Views, 10 Replies

Contour Labels

Hello all, Is there a way to have a contour label line label every other contour rather than every contour it crosses? Thanks, Brian
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can break the line that you drew, and it will skip any contours that it doesn't cross. Not ideal, I know, but workable. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

not sure if civil 3d is still like LDD in this respect: in LDD 3 you can label contours by group interior and select elevation increment. it is defaultly set at 1. change it to 2 and it will label every other contour only. hope this helps. what's up james. -- Tim Duzan LDD 2002 "James Wedding" wrote in message news:40699aee$1_1@newsprd01... > You can break the line that you drew, and it will skip any contours that it > doesn't cross. Not ideal, I know, but workable. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 > LDT2004+C3D > >
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

I haven't tried this but one would assume that you can have every other contour on a common layer, just turn one of the layers off. "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:40699922_2@newsprd01... | Hello all, | | Is there a way to have a contour label line label every other contour rather | than every contour it crosses? | | Thanks, | | Brian | |
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I didn't realize that I was in the 3D group at the time. "wfb" wrote in message news:406ac036$1_2@newsprd01... | I haven't tried this but one would assume that you can have every other | contour on a common layer, just turn one of the layers off. | | "Brian Hailey" wrote in message | news:40699922_2@newsprd01... | | Hello all, | | | | Is there a way to have a contour label line label every other contour | rather | | than every contour it crosses? | | | | Thanks, | | | | Brian | | | | | |
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

It's not quite the same in C3D. The labeling isn't set up on intervals, it's based on a line crossing contours, so there's not an option for it like there was in LDT. I'll keep poking around, but I'm not sure this can be done (!) -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi James, Although I haven't tried I expect that you will be able to set different label styles for the major and minor contours. The minor ones could have a style with no text. As an aside I was looking at a beta of Map 2005, and, would you believe - it has "Index" and "Minor" Contours. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "James Wedding" wrote in message news:406ae2da_3@newsprd01... > It's not quite the same in C3D. The labeling isn't set up on intervals, it's > based on a line crossing contours, so there's not an option for it like > there was in LDT. I'll keep poking around, but I'm not sure this can be done > (!) > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 > LDT2004+C3D > >
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hi - I'm not aware of a way to do this but we'll check with the product designers to see if there's anything in the program that's less obvious. I've added it to my list of feature requests... Thanks DAS "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:40699922_2@newsprd01... > Hello all, > > Is there a way to have a contour label line label every other contour rather > than every contour it crosses? > > Thanks, > > Brian > >
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks Dave, I thought I was going nuts! -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Brian, In the Surface Style on the Contours tab set your major contour interval to twice your minor contour interval. For example if your minor contour interval is 2 set your major to 4. Then go to the Add Contour Labels command and in the Create Contour Label toolbar turn off minor contour labels ( this is on the second button menu in from the right end of the toolbar) then proceed with your labeling. Right now you have to turn the minor labels off every time you restart the Add Contour Labels command. That is a bug. I think this is the way it should work because usually I want to label just my index contours or all of them. Maybe most people don't work that way. Let me know if this isn't satisfactory. Laurie Comerford's and wfb's suggestions will work and are quite simple to implement once you have set up an appropriate contour label style in your .dwt. Matt Blanchard Civil Test Development Autodesk "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:40699922_2@newsprd01... > Hello all, > > Is there a way to have a contour label line label every other contour rather > than every contour it crosses? > > Thanks, > > Brian > >
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Matt, Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion would probably work if I didn't want to display my major contours (every fifth) different then the minor contours. I suppose the command I'm trying to duplicate in Civil3D is the Terrain->Contour Labels->Group Interior. This command allows you to place labels on the contours at specified elevation intervals along a line. Brian "Matt Blanchard" wrote in message news:40742c5f$1_2@newsprd01... > Brian, > > In the Surface Style on the Contours tab set your major contour interval to > twice your minor contour interval. For example if your minor contour > interval is 2 set your major to 4. Then go to the Add Contour Labels > command and in the Create Contour Label toolbar turn off minor contour > labels ( this is on the second button menu in from the right end of the > toolbar) then proceed with your labeling. Right now you have to turn the > minor labels off every time you restart the Add Contour Labels command. That > is a bug. > > I think this is the way it should work because usually I want to label just > my index contours or all of them. Maybe most people don't work that way. Let > me know if this isn't satisfactory. > > Laurie Comerford's and wfb's suggestions will work and are quite simple to > implement once you have set up an appropriate contour label style in your > .dwt. > > Matt Blanchard > Civil Test Development > Autodesk > > "Brian Hailey" wrote in message > news:40699922_2@newsprd01... > > Hello all, > > > > Is there a way to have a contour label line label every other contour > rather > > than every contour it crosses? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Brian > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report