Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Labels won't Add to surface

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
RobWoo71
3331 Views, 11 Replies

Contour Labels won't Add to surface

I have a user on C3d 2008 sp2, we have a drawing we had tried to add contour labels to the surface display with our standard styles that we have used many times. In this situation the labels would not add to the surface as in previous instances. While i searched for an answer i had the user export the surface to XML and re-import it into a blank template and the contour labels came in as expected when we re-ran the add surface labels routine. We checked the layers and even overwrote the styles in his drawing with the default styles from the template. Still no luck. Even though we "worked around" the issue i was wondering if others have had similar experiences and if this is just a bug?
Any information that any can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Rob
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
David Ballard
in reply to: RobWoo71

Try setting your UCS to World before labeling..
Message 3 of 12
RobWoo71

Unfortunately that didn't work.
Message 4 of 12
Civil3D Groupies

are you sure that when you are adding the surface labels you are selecting that contour label style and it's not defaulting to another.... also when you label, is the contour label line coming in and just not the label?
Message 5 of 12
RobWoo71

Actually we tried to apply several different styles and none would work...the label line was not coming in either. At this point i've chalked it up to corruption.
Thanks for your input.
Message 6 of 12
iturgeon

This is extremely annoying, so if anyone can point out a better way, please do. What I'm seeing is Civil3d forgets to ask me which surface I would like to add my labels to. It works the first time, but try to add to a different surface, and you will require a restart of your drawing. Painful.. I noticed this in 2011 as well. Anyone have a better way?

Message 7 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: iturgeon

First off, you should usually post a new question in a new thread. You posted a semi-related question to a thread that has been dormant for 3 years, or so.

As for labeling the contours of multiple surfaces, I have no problem doing so in C3D2012. If you could elaborate on the steps you take, and perhaps grab the text from the Command history, soemone might be able to see what the problem may be. Here's my command history showing I went between 2 surfaces:

Command:ADDCONTOURLABELING
Select a surface <or press enter key to select from list>:Surface:  Corridor - Chanate1
Specify first point or [Objects]:
Specify next point:
Specify next point:

Command:  ADDCONTOURLABELING
Select a surface <or press enter key to select from list>:Surface:  DRIVEWAYS
Specify first point or [Objects]:
Specify next point:

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 12
iturgeon
in reply to: Jeff_M

Sorry, been busy... hmm, usually I try to fit my question into an existing thread (if applicable, I thought it was), as opposed to starting a new question each time... though I should perhaps be cognisant of the date.. that's for sure, thanks.

but here's what I'll typically see. Notice nowhere in there does it allow me to select a surface, no press enter for surface option, or pick session.

Command: _AeccAddContourLabelingGroup
Pick first point:
Pick second point:
Interval along contour <200.000>:

Anyone have any ideas why I would see this? On large Lidar files restarting C3D is a pretty painful option.

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
jmayo-EE

If there is only one surface in the file C3D is smart enough not to ask you what surface to use, hence no prompt.

Try using the Contour label at interval vs label contour multiple.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Oh got that backwards. Don't use the interval option. Use the Multiple option. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
iturgeon
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I have about 40 surfaces in this file, so that's not the issue. I have tried all options, interval multiple etc. Very strange.

Thanks for you help

Message 12 of 12
iturgeon

Yep ran into this again today. Trying to label cut and fill contours, but i have to restart c3d, because, I already labeled some contours on the design surface. Anyone? Any tips Autodesk, reinstall? Am I the only experiencing this? I am using 2012, but I experienced the same thing in 2011. This is even on a new machine, and a new Windows 7, so I don't think anything could have been passed on.

thanks.. restarting now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report