Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistantly Freeze and Crash

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
download.king
551 Views, 18 Replies

Consistantly Freeze and Crash

I have civ3d 2014, it ran perfectly the first time I booted it. The second time is a different story.

I have found that deleting the "Civ3D 2014" folders located in appdata/local/Autodesk and appdata/roaming/Autodesk along with a certain registry key (i can't remember what it's name is, but I do know where to find it) will reinstall the profile and enables perfect performance. Only on the first boot. The second boot will not do a single command before a fatal error.

I am starting to believe that it MIGHT be antivirus software not allowing changes to the registry.

Although it seems like an easy fix it is very frustrating and I cannot figure it out....
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Have you tried  running a repair of the software? You do this through control panel in win7

I remember in past versoins I used to disable av prior to install but have not done that in some time and never saw a problem.

Message 3 of 19

If this does not work, I would recommend contacting your reseller since it must not be long since your purchase. If you are on subscription, you can contact Autodesk help directly.

Message 4 of 19

I have tried everything from repair to a clean install to different versions of .NET framework.

What I had mentioned above is the only thing that works. Kind of.

Message 5 of 19

How are you installing it.

Corporate image?

from disk?

From download?

Can you provide computer configuration?

Like I said, Reseller or Autodesk support ticket. You could also try the installation and licensing forum.

Message 6 of 19

Installing from download. Hotfix applied.
Message 7 of 19

I have tried multiple fixes, but the  only thing that seems to work is deleting the registry key and the app data folders.

But like i said, it only works for one use (after the program rebuilds the profile). The second use is 100% of the time freezing and crashing.

Message 8 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: download.king

Do you have local admin rights on this machine?  And are the file locations on a network drive or roaming profiles, by chance?

Also, you're not running some sort of registry cleaner software on your computer, are you? 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 9 of 19
dgorsman
in reply to: TravisNave

@TravisNave wrote:

Do you have local admin rights on this machine?  And are the file locations on a network drive or roaming profiles, by chance?

Also, you're not running some sort of registry cleaner software on your computer, are you? 

Which also includes any Windows user profile (not AutoCAD profile) management/restoration system, which some institutions use for handling student log-ins.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 19

Thanks guys, but this is a personal computer with myself as admin.

The only thing that could hinder would be Norton.

The computer has been fully wiped, scrubbed, and windows reinstalled. Which is why I don't understand the issues.
Message 11 of 19

This works for a single boot:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19170578&linkID=9240697

The second boot does not work.
Message 12 of 19

This works for first boot:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19170578&linkID=9240697

Second boot has guaranteed freeze and crash.
Message 13 of 19
TravisNave
in reply to: download.king

Have you tried setting exceptions in Norton for the program and its file locations in question?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 14 of 19
TravisNave

@TravisNave wrote:

Have you tried setting exceptions in Norton for the program and its file locations in question?

Also, are your profile folder locations in the Windows default location?  Or are they moved to another drive or network resource?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 19
download.king

every windows directory is standard. i have tried exemptions within norton which will be my next step.

any other suggestions would be helpful ?

Message 16 of 19

This is the same as for the 2013 Civil3D once you have installed 2014 civil3d, i found that it was always crashing randomly and i also have had a few clients who couldnt open their civil3d's in both 2013 and 2014 so one of then updated their Graphics Card and then everything seemed to start working for them. We tried it with the other clients too and they got working as well. Not sure why this is happening but it has taken us little bit to work out.

Have a go at this and see if it works for you, it seems to have worked for them.

Message 17 of 19

Im running the latest and greatest drive for my graphics card... nvidia k2000m....
Message 18 of 19

latest and greatest is not always most appropriate for the configuration of your system. You may want to try another driver configuration to rule it out ABSOLUTELY or you could just dismiss the idea and hope it really isnt the problem.

Message 19 of 19

I have tried multiple drivers. But I can always try more....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report