Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting pipe to different Pipe Network structure

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
millermccoy
8803 Views, 7 Replies

Connecting pipe to different Pipe Network structure

Using Network Layout Tools, can you attach a pipe to a structure in a different Pipe Network?

2015 Civil 3D
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ccoles
in reply to: millermccoy

Short answer, no, you can't. Pipes and structures on separate networks do not interact. One work-around I've done is to use shortcuts to import my pre-construction drainage layout into a new drawing, promote it, then change the network name to reflect the post-construction drainage layout and build my drainage changes into that model. I have pre-determined styles to separate existing pipes and structures from proposed pipes and structures. This moethod has worked well for me on several projects, some that include extensive existing drainage layouts.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: millermccoy

You can merge the networks then connect, however.

Bill

Message 4 of 8
millermccoy
in reply to: ccoles

thanks...I'll control the different pipe runs thru styles

2015 Civil 3D
Message 5 of 8
RainierFan
in reply to: wfberry

What if one pipe netork is associated with one roadway alignment and the other another alignment?

Message 6 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: RainierFan

different parts can refer to different alignments

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 8
castled071049
in reply to: RainierFan

By and large, pipes runs that connect to other pipe runs should be in the same network. For example, all the storm pipes draining to a common outlet should be in the same network. You can have each pipe run associated with it's own alignment, as Joe pointed out, but there are advantages to having them in the same network. 

Message 8 of 8
ODO18
in reply to: castled071049

I disagree with this statement.  We have had similar issues in our company and I have had to try to standardize this.  Once a pipe network is proposed and it is part of an approved plan set, then those networks are existing in any future plans.  So Grading, utility networks, etc should all be set anew.  Proposed grading in approved plans should be pasted to existing surfaces and shown as existing in new plans.  Proposed pipes in approved plans should be shown as existing and should NOT connect with any future networks.  If they do connect then you run the risk of a prior approved plan having a new invert or worse a invert change show up in those approved plans outputs.  This causes a problem for as-builts that need unmodified utilties and grading, as well as a quality control issue of some showing a proposed manhole or something in to seperate plans, so the client gets billed twice.  The safe answer with utilities is to create a new netwrok, then if you need to connect to an previous proposed structure, add that structure in the new network as an existing structure.  The use of data sharing can also help with keeping future projects seperate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report