Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about LaneSuperelevationAOR

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
juliarh
1143 Views, 5 Replies

Confused about LaneSuperelevationAOR

I'm using the subassembly LaneSuperelevationAOR to model a one-lane road.  I'm not sure I'm using it right.

I have 3 curves that require superelevation, the rest of the alignment should have a single cross slope.

I set the subassembly to have a cross slope of 3% to the right.  I applied the superelevation, but only to the 3 curves that need it.  I want the subassembly to use the 3% cross slope except where there's elevation data entered.  Does it do that?  I can't seem to get it to do that.

I'm also unclear about when to turn on the "Potential Pivot" parameter.  Because it seems to work the same when it's on as it does when it's off.

Educate me please.  LaneOutsideSuper worked perfect, what do I need to know about this new one?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: juliarh

take a look at this recent thread and see if my workflow works for you http://autode.sk/SayPlo After you've applied the superelevation using a set of standards, you can then modify the supers if required. This workflow is based on the alignment being down the centerline of the lane. If your alignment is along the edge of pavement, then perhaps a screen capture or upload of the drawing would help.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 6
sboon

LaneSuperelevationAOR can be used for either an inside or outside lane, so when it's inserted to an assembly you have to specify which superelevation parameter to use.  The default is None, so unless you've changed it there will be no superelevation used.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 6
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Steve,

I forgot about the default OOTB being set to none. I changed the properties on my tool pallet to LT inside, since I "usually" build my assemblies LT to RT.  Thanks for the reminder.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 6
juliarh
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

First of all, I appologizing for posting a question that's already been posted, I didn't find that one when I search.  Unfortunately, none of these answers help.  And I don't think they'll help the other poster either because his final response is exactly where I am now.

I have two subassemblies to represent two halves of the lane and the properties are as shown inthe attached picture. 

I have superelevation data entered in the table in the areas where it's needed in the Left Lane Outside and Right Lane Outside columns.  In the superelevation data I have data entered at the begin and end of the transitions.

The corridor has the correct cross slope on the curves with superelevation data and in between.  But the first part of the project transitions from 0 at the beginning of the alignment up to 3% at the beginning of the transition at the 1st curve.

I added a new superelevation point at the beginning of the alignment with the cross slopes +3% on the left and -3% on the right.  That seemed to fix the problem.  It seems silly to have to do that though.

Also, I haven't seen any answers to this, the parameter "Potential Pivot":  when do I use it, when do I not?

Message 6 of 6
sboon

Don't worry about the search - everybody knows that it doesn't work very well and we're used to getting duplicate questions because of it.

It sounds like you created the superelevation values manually, which means that you didn't have anything at the start and end of the alignment.  Most people tend to use the calculator or the wizard to get started, and those methods automatically put default values at both ends of the alignment. 

Explaining potential pivots would take longer than I have time for but you should be able to find more information here.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-F897D372-0F07-49EA-A42B-700A3FBFD99-1925.htm

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report