Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional Horizontal Target = Odd Results

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
murray-clack
3629 Views, 14 Replies

Conditional Horizontal Target = Odd Results

So I am now advancing in my Civil 3D skills to attempt Conditional Horizontal targets.

In particular, I am attempting the infamous task of creating driveway openings using a horizontal target with my sub-assemblies.  I referred to the AU 2010 video tutorial that gets passed around here on the boards, and for the most part, it works with ONE tiny exception.

Like in the AU video, I set my conditional target to look for a particular layer, and I first attempted the exercise by placing ONE polyline (i.e. driveway opening) on the layer, and set set conditional "found" and "not found" targets to find this pline.  The target found the pline on the layer on the right side of the road where I drew it, and created the opening as hoped, but it created an opening on the LEFT side of the road as well!

What do I have to do to prevent the conditional horizontal targets from ignoring the exact opposite side of the road?  In my assembly, the left conditions are set to LEFT, and the right conditions are set to RIGHT, but when the corridor gets modeled, BOTH sides of the road will show an opening even if there is only one pline drawn.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
troma
in reply to: murray-clack

Just a suggestion from someone who's never tried it;

draw a pline on the left side too, just make it a straight line with no openings?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 15
MikeEvansUK

Post an image of what's going on a picure of the assembly and result will help here. I presume that your opening condition sub is attached to the carriageway on the relevant side and you have one for either side?

I do this a lot and the other thing i tweak is the target distance on the subassembly.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 15

I do this all the time for our transportation projects.  You don't have to have both IF FOUND and IF NOT FOUND conditions.  You only want it to create the opening IF FOUND, other wise (like curb or shoulder, etc.)  I'm attaching our "master" assembly.  This is pretty much all inclusive for the majority of road projects we have.  It won't be like yours, but it will give you an idea of what you can do.  In the case of the attached dwg, if it finds a driveway (polyline on layer) it builds the driveway section, otherwise, it uses the base taper. (We build the entire road and then go back and cut in the driveway.)  This scenario allows to get the quantities for the project.  The other conditional is for ditch work. If it finds the ditch line, create the ditch (the links use horizontal and vertical targets).  If it doesn't find the ditch line, it grades to the EG.  The assembly dwg is in 2012 format, you don't say which version you're using.  If you're using an earlier version, I can send a screen cap.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 15

Hi Lisa, there doesn't seem to be an attached drawing  (But I will try your trick in the meantime)

Message 6 of 15
MikeEvansUK

I figured a picture of one of mine may assist.

Lots of conditions here, found and not found bit of a spiders web but will chain the actions.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 15
murray-clack
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Below is a screen cap of the problem I am having.  As you can see, on the right side of the road the driveway sub-assembly models as per the polyline target from the specified layer.  On the left side, a driveway opening appears where I don't want it to even though there is no physical target found.

Message 8 of 15

Why don't you upload your drawing?  What version?

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 9 of 15
BrianHailey

Can you share your assembly? My guess is it has something to do with that. You can post it here or e-mail me directly civil3dplus is the name of my gmail account.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 15
murray-clack
in reply to: BrianHailey

Here's the assembly (I've been playing with the settings, so don't be surprised if you find something GLARING).  Also, I tried to upload my drawing, but it exceeded the board's upload limit

Message 11 of 15
BrianHailey

I haven't looked at your file yet but here's my guess as to what is going on. When you set the targets, do you have the left and the right side target different plines? Even though the target is on the other side of the alignment, it might still be picking it up as a valid target. Set your left targets and right targets on different layers and try again.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 12 of 15

Ok, I looked at your assembly and it all seems fine. Your original post said that you only supplied one target polyline (by layer) on the RT side.  Your left side needs a target (or layer) so that it knows what to look for (or not).  Right now since it doesn't have a target assigned, it doesn't know what to do.  That's the scenario I'm assuming you did, anyway.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 13 of 15

Brian & Lisa, you were both on the money.  Once I added a separate layer for the LEFT side (and assigned the target to that) the problem resolved itself

File that under "DOI ! So obvious it hurts!"

Thank you SO much.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Lisa,

I am working on one of my first corridors for an urban roadway where I am using conditional assemblies.  I looked at the assembly you attached and read your description regarding not using "NOT Found" sub-assembly. I tried that but I end up getting both a standard curb and the driveway with a drop curb.  I'm not sure where I am going wrong.  I've attached some screen shots showing where I used the "Not Found" and where I did not use it.  Obviously I would rather not have to use it as that is double work in mapping targets.  Any thing you see I'm doing wrong?

Jason Alligood

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Sorry for the Necro,

But did you asign elevations to the Polylines?

If your surface objects are say 600' and Polyline is 0, that can cause the left (Guardrail) to show up on the right side.

There is a option where you target map in Corridor Properties for it to target the Nearest Offset.

Only way i could get the Select by Layer to work correctly.

Can we PLEASE have these Conditional Horizontal Targets have Minimum distance like the Conditional CutorFill.

Seems silly for the layout to show 0.00 : 9999.00 yet you can't change the Minimum at all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report