Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Recommendations

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
DanaKennell1014
463 Views, 1 Reply

Computer Recommendations

Hi All,

We are finding ourselves in a situation where we need at least one new computer, fast.  Our deadlines are getting more and more absurd (is anyone else having this problem?), and we have from today until the 6th of February to design 7 miles of roadway on top of a mountain.  We just completed Phase I, which is an access road up the side of the mountain.  This was only about one mile of road, and my computer cannot handle it.  I had to bring in my laptop from home to be able to do the corridor.  Anyways, the best option at this point is to get a new computer, but there is no time to custom order.  I am looking at pre-built systems, comparing them with specs I uncovered here:

http://indydrafter.com/civil-3d-2011-workstation-suggestions/

We are running 2011.  We just don't have to time to upgrade every year, so most likely we'll skip 2012 completely.  Most of the pre-built systems I'm finding that have the speed we're looking for are gaming systems (which is what my laptop is and it was fantastic for working on the corridor).  Does anyone have any recommendations?  I am seeing a lot of CyberpowerPC machines that seem like they would have the muscle, but reviews are mixed, although a lot of the reviews are for custom built machines.  My laptop is ASUS, which I was also looking at, but again, reviews are mixed, and I don't feel I have the knowledge to make a decision.  Any advice, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dana

P.S. I am having trouble searching the forums.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I hit search, and it does nothing.  I've tried selecting Board or Discussions on the drop down, but neither changes anything.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I'd just search Dell until I found one that would do. Remember to the reconditioned ones, you can get a great price and they ship immediately. http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/desktops

The search trouble is a known issue and it's supposed to be fixed in the next update. To search I go up one level and then back down to the board. Then it works.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report