Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composite volume for multiple overlapping surfaces

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
granite07
592 Views, 2 Replies

Composite volume for multiple overlapping surfaces

MER99_compVol_overlap_20111107.jpgThe issue: Some corridor surfaces overlap more than one surface - for example on my project the Ramp1 surface  overlaps two adjacent ramp daylights for RW3  and the  MainLine CL99, and the base surface. I tried creating corridor regions for each surface overlap but the corridor cannot have surfaces by region.

Is this correct: Composite volumes allows selecting only one base surface, therefore the volume cannot be calculated without creating a corridor within each region of individual surface overlap.

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: granite07

Granite7 said:

...but the corridor cannot have surfaces by region. 

That's true, but if you're using daylight or another feature to automatically create the overall surface boundary, extract the boundary from that surface, draw plines at region points, break the pline that you extracted, join to make region boundaries, apply these as boundaries for the region surfaces.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 3
granite07
in reply to: granite07

Appreciate the advice

If the 3D model is used during construction then updates to reflect the actual conditions requires repeating your process. Another approach similar to what you suggest is to join the surfaces and then use the volumes dashboard  to form the surface boundaries.

The solution I used is a "dummy corridor"  to provide the comparison surface.  The dummies are copies of the existing corridors but are formed into corridors A and B or cover the problem boundary region. This approach is dynamic to changes in the alignment or profile.

If there was a function to copy and paste a corridor it would have been simpler to create the dummies since I'd only needed to clear the associated payItems in code and change the statcompositeVolumes_20111108.jpgions. It was not much to create them from scratch.

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report