Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complicated Road Sections

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
170 Views, 5 Replies

Complicated Road Sections

I need some "How to advice" on the best way to associate multiple sub-assemblies to a template.

The Define template dialogs allow for two positions of assemblies, in need to be able to attach sub-assemblies of variable landscape areas and sidewalks between my road EOP's (edge of pavements) and my matching slope. How does one accomplish this?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You mention the "Define template dialog", so it sounds like youo're using
Civil Design, not Civil 3D. If so, you should probably ask the same
questions in the Land Desktop discussion group instead of here. It's quite
simple to do this in Land Desktop / Civil Design.

If you are using Civil 3D it's very easy to do what you want. There are a
few sub-assemblies for sidewalks that you could use. You'll find them in
the Metric / Imperial structures tool palette. For your landscape /
boulevards, I would use the generic links subassemblies. They are in the
Metric / Imperial Generic tool palette.

Matt
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you Matt,

I am using a Civil 3D Companion, so thought I would give it a shot here to see if anyone had some good advice.

The sub-assemblies are all built and defined. I just can not find an option that allows me to link more than 2 sub-assemblies to the road template when I really need to link 4 and sometimes 6 on each side of the template.

Would I be better off creating a single finish grade 2d polyline from one side of the corridor to the other and treating the curbs, walks, beds as 'normal' elements all in a single template? Since I need to add PT codes to allow for the variable widths of each of these elements?

Or am I better off trying to work with the multitude of sub-assemblies? If there is not an option to attach more than 2 sub-assemblies to a template, than the multiple sub-assembly option is not going to work, and that is what I am trying to find out, is there an options to attach more than two sub-assemblies to a template?

I am creating more work for myself by trying to attach multiple subassemblies to road template?

I am not sure which direction would be the best, the desired outcome is that all elements that weave around within the Right of Way will be shown in the cross sections so intelligent design decisions can be made regarding shifting walks left or right to avoid excessive cut or fills, widening planting beds to take up or reduce grading, that type of stuff.

I will also post in the LDD area, see if they have suggestions too.

I have not had to work with so complicated Right of Way elements that need to all show in the cross sections before.

Susan
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

There is no such product as "Civil 3D Compantion". You mean "Civil Design
Companion". But that's just semantics.

I have never liked using sub assemblies in Civil Design. i would just draw
your template without using them. Attaching subassemblies definitely has
its limitations and I don't think you can make it do what you want.

Matt
Message 5 of 6
dana.probert

The names are intensely confusing, but yes, even though you own Civil 3D as well, you are working in Civil Design Companion, which is still a Land Desktop family member.

Anthony- that is another $5 you owe me.

For some more clarification on what I say above, check out this link that explains what Civil 3D, Land Desktop and Civil Design are and how they fit together:
http://civil3drocks.blogspot.com/2006/06/civil-3d-vs-land-desktop-civil-design.html

Dana
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hey, I want part of that deal with AG.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report