Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comping Construction Ponints in C3D...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nateherman
444 Views, 3 Replies

Comping Construction Ponints in C3D...

So what is everyone doing for comping construction points (sanitary, watermain, storm, curb...)?

Do you still manually compute a pnt at each manhole, or is there anything more dynamic now?

I really have no idea about curb comps.

Thanks,

nate

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jduncan76
in reply to: nateherman

I create alignments and then export them to an .xml file and use that alignment to stake everything.  It's great, you can change offsets to whatver you want and stake any point along that alignment at any chainage.

Message 3 of 4
Sinc

We use Alignments/Profiles for a lot of things, especially utilities.  Combine that with the Cut Sheet reports we can dump straight out of our data collectors, and it works great.

But for things like parking lots, we find Alignments/Profiles to be a real chore.  That's when we like using the StakeFeatures routine from the Sincpac-C3D.  It creates offset stakeout points from things like Feature Lines, auto-labeling grade breaks, PCs, PCCs, PRCs, etc., creating radius points for arc segments, and more.  One click on a Feature Line creates everything necessary to point stake the object in the field.  This is one of the commands that people have told me "make survey calcs FUN!"

That StakeFeatures command is only one of many commands in the Sincpac-C3D that help with survey calcs, however.  I still work four days a week as a C3D Survey Tech.  But here lately, in those four days, I've been providing full office support for THREE field crews, all of which have been working six days per week (we've been swamped with work lately).  That's something we never could have managed a few years back.  Back when we were using Land Desktop, we had more of a 1:1 ratio of office techs to field crews, but C3D+SincpacC3D has changed the game completely for us.  And that's despite the fact that we have fancy new field equipment, which lets them work faster in field than in years past, too.  And the best part of all is that, while we've been upping our productivity, we've also seen our error rate go down and our quality of work go up.  Net result is we're really busy right now, despite the economy.

Sinc
Message 4 of 4
mdriver1

Nate and Sinc,

I do the same with utilities (alignment/profiles) but usually have 3D linework for parking lot situations. Most contractors around here like 2-3 foot back of curb stakes so I "generally" just stake the actual position on the linework, pull a tape for offsets since they're close, mark the grade and shoot the stake location for record. Alot of times though I will boot a line from graphics and create a profile from the 3D polylines and stake as station/offset. I can pick the radius points from the graphics as well. Works for me. I use Carlson SurvCE with Carlon GPS and use Leica's onboard stuff if using the robot. I am going to upgrade to an Allegro for Leica with SurvCE at the end of the year. I had a demo on this and it works great.

Can't beat Carlson.

What equipment and data collectors do you all use?

Mark Driver  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report