Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine pipe networks from separate C3D files into a single C3D file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
768 Views, 5 Replies

Combine pipe networks from separate C3D files into a single C3D file

I need a way for 2 users to work on a pipe network at the same time.  I was thinking about creating Data Shortcuts, but I’m looking for a better way to accomplish this.  For example, can I export a pipe network created by another user into a master file? (which contains all my networks consolidated together).   I want to work on one part of the network while another user works on another part of the network then combine into a single file so that I reference everything into our P&P sheets.

Thanks,

Robert

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

I guess you can look into the commands to split and merge pipe networks. Split first. Then you can d-ref and promote to another drawing, edit at will. D-ref & promote back, and merge together.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

Sorry...   D-Ref?  Is D-Ref synonymous with Data Shortcut?

I understand "Promote" to mean to "attach" permanently to the source drawing, is that right?  If so, can I selectively promote a network from another user?  And, can I selectively promote structures and pipes?

It seems to me that a "best practices" would be for the other user to create completely unique and independent network names (i.e. He works on Storm while I work on Sanitary) then promote his Storm into my master file.  

Thanks!

Robert

Message 4 of 6
troma

Yes, d-ref is data reference, or data shortcut.

I'm sorry, I presumed you meant you had one big network that was currently already created, and you wanted to work on it separately but still keep as one network when complete. What you said about Storm and Sanitary makes more sense.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

No problem.  But, can I selectively promote a network from another user?  And, can I selectively promote structures and pipes?

In other words, I may only want a few named networks or pieces (structures/pipes) from that user to promote to my master drawing - if I promote from his to mine, i'm afraid i'll get duplicate networks.

Message 6 of 6
troma

You data shortcut by network.  You can do one network, or as many as you want.

You can't individually select parts to shortcut.  If you need to do this perhaps you can look into the tools I mentioned earlier: split the individual structure off into it's own network and d-ref that.  You can merge again afterwards.  I'm not sure, but these tools might mess up your labels, and I'm sure they will mess up parts drawn in profile view.  But it sounds like you're in preliminary stages, so maybe it's not such an issue.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report