Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine Pasted Surfaces

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ekaraim
2380 Views, 13 Replies

Combine Pasted Surfaces

I have a suface that is created from several (data shortcutted) pasted surfaces. I'd like to permantely combine these pasted surfaces into one composite surface. Essentially, I want to remove the link to the pasted surfaces. The surface is massive, there are several MMS files over 200MB associated with it, so the simplest way would be best, processing takes forever.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: ekaraim

Copy from 0,0,0 to 0,0,0 and then rename it??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 14
ekaraim
in reply to: neilyj666

Could it be that simple? Wouldn't that maintain the data shortcut links in the copied surface?

If it is that easy, I will find a computer with more RAM than mine to attempt it.

Message 4 of 14
neilyj666

I think this method breaks the link (can't test as not in front of C3D now)

You could always try XML to output the surface

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
ekaraim

I'm going to give it a try, thanks. The surface is too big for xml, which is really too bad.

Message 6 of 14
neilyj666

Do you really need the surface to be so big - the bigger they are the slower everything becomes??

You could try creating non destructive boundaries to reduce the size and export these to XML

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
ekaraim

Have tried the boundary trick. Unfortunately the surface does need to be large, it's being used for both design and rendering in InRoads. Simplifying the surface results in important triangles being left out, crown of the road for example, or bottom of a ditch.

So far bringing in 3dfaces into inroads has been the only successful conversion. We'd use XML if we could actually get it exported.

Message 8 of 14
neilyj666

I see - hope you find a method that works for you

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
ekaraim

Thanks for trying, unfortunately the copying method didn't work.

Message 10 of 14
lim.wendy

Hi ekaraim,

Perhaps you could try to simplify each of the individual surface

Simplify Surface.png

Then, promote (right click on the surface which is being referenced and click promote) each surface so you can have the all surfaces in one drawing. 

They are also workarounds if the composite surface appears too large to handle. I need to know how each of the surface is being created; ie: is it by points, contours..etc

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 11 of 14
mathewkol

How about the crop surface command? It will create a new dwg which contains a surface that CAN be linked to the originals but doesn't need to be. I have no idea how it works when surfaces are pasted and/or dref'd. Worth a shot though.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 12 of 14
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

Would a surface snapshot work?  The paste operations would still be part of the definition of your merged surface but they would not be processed anymore.  All future rebuilds would start with the current version of the TIN.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 14
mathewkol

That's how the crop surface remains unaffected by original drawing surface edits. Of course if someone removes the snapshot then there's a problem no matter what method you choose.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 14 of 14
ekaraim

Thanks, I am attempting that this morning. I was hoping to keep the surface hi-res, but it looks like it's a bit ambitious.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report