Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color and SHP files

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
M_RR
3076 Views, 21 Replies

Color and SHP files

Hi ! I am currently working from .shp files and trying to get a topographic map. So far I was able to import the files from a 2-D perspective then alter the property to specify my elevation. It worked fine and I now have a full map with lines that gives me a good topography. I would now wished to insert color by elevation and I find myself unable to do this. The zone (or maps) is not a " surface " and I was not able, unless I use the option " add data from drawing object " to convert all those lines into a surface. I do not like the option of " add data from drawing " because it looks terrible when I use it.

So, I tryed to use the layer option to specify the color / elevation but I did not find any option for this. Is there any way to solve this issue ? Should I use a different way to " create " my maps ?

The other problem I found when using the option " import file from GIS " was that my map was " okay " from a top viewing, showing all the polygone, but when I moved it on iso- view, I realise the map was not okay at all. In fact it was horrible as all the elevation were displayed on different level, thus producing many different draw from a front view for example. Is this caused by a bad .shp files or something I did with the GIS or is it from CAD ? 

Thanks !

Marc.

P.s. : I would eventualy like to inclued maps with the topographics thing, add streets and structure, draw my pipe-netowkrs on other layer level and also increase the data precision from fields measurement. Is all of this possible ? 

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
KirkNoonan
in reply to: M_RR

It might be easier to accomplish everything that you want to do with a C3D surface. Look on the 'Home" ribbon at 'Create Ground Data -> Surfaces -> Create Surface from GIS Data'

Message 3 of 22
M_RR

Yes, I did try this option. But when I do the results is terrible. The surface become a layer of many level of draw each on top of each other. So when I look at it from a top view, everything seems okay, but when I move it to side view, it shows all the different layer of draw ( I guess they are placed according to their elevation ). I did include image to better shows what's going on ! I don't know where I made the mistake, but obviously it's wrong !!

Message 4 of 22
KirkNoonan

No knowing exactly what you are after, it is difficult to advise you. It looks to me like your surface is pretty good. There seem to be a few spots that could use some refinement, but overall not too bad. Are you trying to get a rendered view of the surface that looks like grass or dirt?

Message 5 of 22
M_RR
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Hi again ! I would like to eventualy be able to obtain color scheme like this 
http://www.google.ca/imgres?start=441&um=1&hl=fr&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbnid=wy-FMsQI... " ( sorry for the long url).

I want to be able to move the surface in 3-D and sees the topography and check the color scheme, something like you could do in a GIS product. I know it should be possible, but I still don't get how to accomplish this !

I want to use this to eventualy add my road profiles, add points from ground exploration and so on... 

Message 6 of 22
KirkNoonan

If you want to do those things, you will definitely want a C3D surface. Change your surface style (right click on the surface and go to the ‘Surface Properties’) to ‘Elevation Banding” and see if that gets you closer to what you want to see

Message 7 of 22
antoniovinci

I guess something's wrong with your input data: would you save 'em as linear .SHP file (with full OD) and share with us?  

Message 8 of 22
M_RR

That is close to it. When I used the " surface -style " ( in the tab " general " of surface properties ), I used the Elevation banding - 2D. Now I get color with elevation, But I cannot see the color in iso view ! Also, can I add more grading to the color ? Thanks !

Message 9 of 22
M_RR

Oh and by the way, about my last post 
 " That is close to it. When I used the " surface -style " ( in the tab " general " of surface properties ), I used the Elevation banding - 2D. Now I get color with elevation, But I cannot see the color in iso view ! Also, can I add more grading to the color ? Thanks ! "

I should add that this is not my data. It's a surface I directly imported from GoogleEarth. My data aren't working at all  ! Unfortunatly I cannot gives them like this, they are protected data !

Message 10 of 22
KirkNoonan

Okay, almost there. Edit the surface style. (right click on surface and edit style). Go to the display tab and change the view direction to  'Model' then make sure that the elevations are turned on. Then switch to the analysis tab and expand 'Elevations'. Set the display type to 3D Faces and see if that is what you're after.

Message 11 of 22
KirkNoonan

And you might need to set the elevations display mode in the same place to 'Use Surface Elevation'

Message 12 of 22
M_RR

Oh yes, now we're getting close to what I want !! It seems to work ! Am trying this out on my model Monday, I hope it works !! Thanks for your help !

Message 13 of 22
ericcollins6932

You can use banding 3D too if you have that particular style.  Same as 2d banding but is visible in model viewer.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 14 of 22
M_RR

Thanks so far, I was able to get the color on on any view perspective !

But I would like to obtain the legend of the color and also to add something like

elevation 0' : color = red

elevation 10 ' : color = blue

etc...

Is this possible ?

Thanks !

Message 15 of 22
ericcollins6932

Yup,

Go to Annotate/Add Tables/Add Surface Legend tables

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 16 of 22
M_RR
in reply to: ericcollins6932

Thanks, I now have the table but it's empty. How do I specify the elevation / colors for my selection ?

I have two object I want to define

The first one is a surface - I can change the color from minor and major in the layer thing, but it does not help me specify the color by elevation ? Any clue ?

The second one is a iso-contours map of a area. I have many polyline, each representing a different elevation. I would like to be able to specify : polyline with elevation between 0 and 10' are red, polyline between 10' and 20' are blue,,and so on.

Thanks !

Message 17 of 22
KirkNoonan

Forget about your polylines. Now that you have a surface, you should use that for all of your analysis and display. If you experiment with the surface styles, you will find that you can make it do pretty much whatever you want. To get the legend to work, right click the surface and select surface properties. Then choose the 'Analysis' tab. On the analysis tab you will see a list of possibilities. Choose elevations, select the number of ranges and hit the arrow that points down. Now, in the bottom window, you can double click on the elevations in the ranges and change them. Those ranges will be reflected in your surface display and legend table.

Message 18 of 22
M_RR

Thanks !

Message 19 of 22
M_RR

Now that did the trick for the table, but my surface stills does not show color / graded as I specified in the table !

It shows the color I used in the display tabs from the " edit surface style " menu

Message 20 of 22
M_RR

Okay so the problem come from the material style. When I use elevation-banding 2-D I get the color I specified in the table. But this is not exactly what I want. I would like something like the contour 5'-25' material but with my range of value in it ? ( I want to line only to change color, not the whole surface, only the iso-contour).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report