Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civild 3D have a lot of defects for specail topological face

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cugzeus
742 Views, 6 Replies

Civild 3D have a lot of defects for specail topological face

It used in construction of terrain denauly triangle, but in terms of geological triangulation is free topology(as follow figure which had been created by GeoBIM), denauly topology rule doesn't apply;7.jpg

6.jpg

In the surface of the structure tree straight dumping, denauly will be superior to the tree straight direction (Z direction)(As filgure), rather than nearby principle(as fig. which had been built into  triangle net surface by  the exchange of X-Z axis ), to construct the surface by the specail topology.

8.jpg
11.jpgThis is my personal understanding, don't know if Civli 3 d design original intention is really so.I also by the way, is there a good method to import a special topology of irregular triangle surface?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ericcollins6932
in reply to: cugzeus

I believe Delaunay triangulation is the only method C3D uses to build a TIN. If new to C3D, there are tutorials on how to bring in points and create a surface right on the main splash page.

A breakline edge between the points will cause the program to connect these points with a triangle edge in the TIN, even if doing so violates the Delaunay property.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 7
AllenJessup

I think you've gone a bit further than most of us dirt-pushers usually go. At least further than I usually venture. While I understand the terms you use in general. I haven't been able to put together what you're looking for other than a method which favors triangulation in the Z direction rather than the X,Y.

Civil 3D is focused on construction. The creation of existing and proposed surfaces and the comparison between them. It has some limited functionality in creating strata for differing soil condition or rock, created from bore-hole data. However there is no focus on geological data.

Can you spell out what differences you need to see in the surfaces and what the end use might be? This may be helpfully to those of us who may want to help. At this time there have been 40 views of your post with no replies. This indicates that others, like me, are having trouble figuring out what you're looking for.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
cugzeus

Our company is  engaging in hydropower project now, the large civil engineering designs is developing towards more professional 3D integration  and collobration.The project must depend on the natural conditions to design it's structure and construction process, such as dam of  hydropower station. C3D focus on civil engineering, need to geological tectonic and stratigraphic lithology that is very critical, deu to involves the construction difficulty and the amount of excavation, which determines the cost, and ultimately act on the quality and design schemes selecting.This explains the geological condition should be in the first place before our eyes, when we is preparing to design  the construction, I thought that the designer is very looking forward to it. The previous technical conditions is not high, the geological and construction professinal delivered information  with 2D profile, but these are not the best and the most effective ways, but  is 3D modelling which can express the source with the most intuitive and effective .  the model is not designed, but is a  natural geological body;  Not only it have the face of the horizontal direction, but of the upright;Not only  of the convex, but of the concave (as fig. ).These are my problems we are facing now, we are not to build 3D geological model with C3D, just want to input to accept which  had built the model by other software. I except that C3D can more open interface to embrace it, let developer to control the triangle mesh topology relationship. At present, "Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.TinSurface" of  for C3D
Was not the only way, it can also use  the polyfacemesh, the submesh, the surface of "Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices", but the same qeustion is how to control by codes, but if so, I don't know that I can meet the demand of the construction professionals, and if C3D don't use TIN, what is still left?

This problem also is in the other two Autodesk products such as Invetnor, Revit,QQ截图20140311162350.jpg

Message 5 of 7
ericcollins6932

Civil 3D has some fairly primitive borehole/subsurface mapping tools but is primarily used in earthworks construction and creates surfaces by its nature, not solids. You might be better off with geology software such as Oasis Montage that can properly handle what you're looking for. Oasis Montage is by Geosoft (http://www.geosoft.com)

I do not specifically endorse Geosoft as there are many packages out there, but they are the first who come to mind.

C3D does use TIN's and can handle mesh/3D faces in creation of said TIN's.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 7
cugzeus
in reply to: AllenJessup
Message 7 of 7
AllenJessup

Unfortunately Civil 3D only deals with Surfaces and that's a Civil 3D definition of a Surface. In that definition there aren't even any overhangs or undercuts. So the only way to do subsurface modeling is to create multiple surfaces where no X,Y can have more than one Z per Surface. As mentioned. There are some primitive ways of displaying Strata. However. I don't see them meeting your needs.

Autodesk has tried to make Civil 3D with a little bit for everyone. But it's definitely biased towards Road and Subdivision work. I've always wondered why, even though they're supposed to be integrated products, Civil 3D doesn't take advantage of the 3D modeling that's been added to AutoCAD over the years.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report