Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3d unable to add TIN points (in edit) or move them either

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
wadehunnicutt
3826 Views, 17 Replies

Civil3d unable to add TIN points (in edit) or move them either

Civil3D - have surface from contours (plines), breaklines, etc.  Have been able to edit TIN to add points or move them in the past (I think).  Recently, I can't add or move points through the TIN edit.  I'm guessing something I changed (maybe recent update), variable, etc - but have no clue what it is.  Any suggestions?  Driving me crazy.  TIA

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
sboon
in reply to: wadehunnicutt

Perhaps you've turned off the options in the Edit Operations for your surface.  Open up the Definition tab in the surface properties dialog and check there.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Is it possible that you may be trying to edit a DS surface?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 18
wadehunnicutt
in reply to: sboon

Yep, thought of that.  Even went and turned them off and then reset them to on - no luck.

Message 5 of 18
wadehunnicutt
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Not aware of creating or using DS surface.  I can add & delete contours & breaklines no prob - just not points.

Message 6 of 18
troma

Can you be more specific?  What error message are you getting or what happens when you try?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 18
wadehunnicutt
in reply to: troma

First let me add if it matters Civil 3D 2013 Version G.114.0.0 SP1

More specific - when I add/del contours, points, breaklines - immediate results to the underlying TIN (auto rebuild on).  When I add point, it asks for location (doesn't show blip when clicked), asks for elevation - but not reflected in TIN & no TIN rebuild.  Likewise, when I try to move point, it won't allow me to click it to move - I click it but acad never registers that I've tried to make a selection.

Message 8 of 18
BrianHailey

Go through the standard trouble shooting methodology, can you replicate this with a different computer same data? Same computer different data?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 18
wadehunnicutt
in reply to: BrianHailey

Easier said then done.  Only computer with Civil3D 2013 installed and don't have any others with TINs.  Can make one, but looming deadlines so not now.

Curiosity sucks - took time to mess with it anyway.  Brought info into new drawing and no problems, either using TIN brought in or deleting TIN before brought in and recreate.  Sooo, must be a drawing specific setting (or TIN specific that doesn't get carried over).  Any ideas?

Message 10 of 18
Jeff_M

Could you post, or otherwise share, the drawing? Someone here could probably figure out pretty quickly.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 18
sboon
in reply to: Jeff_M

Probably grasping at straws here - some surface editing operations require that your surface style is displaying TIN points, and I believe that they have to be at true elevation (not flattened)

What is being displayed in your surface style.?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 18
wadehunnicutt
in reply to: sboon

Sorry, large file.  Couldn't post here, so you can download it at:

http://www.pharrengineering.com/files/Pharr/1415%20-%20TIN%20issues.zip

1st attempt at really using Civil3D, so stuff and layers all over the place.  No making fun of me!!

Anyway, must be drawing specific issue.  Can create TIN in other file with same info and no problems.  In this file (or new surface from same data in this file) can't add or move points from the TIN edit command.  Everything else seems to work normally and immediately noticeable.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 18
wfberry

I did not look very closely but you do not have any Civil 3D points in the drawing as far as moving them.

Bill

Message 14 of 18
Jeff_M

I wasn't able to spend as much time looking at this as I would like to, but there are close to a bazillion surface edits,some which seem to override others, and I think that this might have something to do with it. 

Bill, you can edit the surface points (the ends of each TIN line) which are not associated with C3D cogo/survey points

EESignature
Message 15 of 18
dgordon

I opened the drawing and have no problems adding points or moving points with the edit tin functions.

there are many outdated edits you want to remove out of the surface.  once you get a circle with a line thru it in red in the surface edits list it means the edits no longer exists and you can remove them.

I think we can rule out drawing specific since it works for me.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 16 of 18
Jeff_M
in reply to: dgordon

Interseting that you can edit it, Dan. I certainly cannot. When I select the surface, then Edit, then Move Point, this is all I ever get when attempting to move a surface point:

_AeccMoveSurfacePoint
Surface: FG
Specify a point to move: The point specified is not contained in the surface
Specify a point to move: The point specified is not contained in the surface

I've tried all areas of the surface with the same results.

OK, hold on. I see the problem. The drawing is not using WCS as it was posted. Changing UCS to World allows me to make the desired edits.

EESignature
Message 17 of 18
wadehunnicutt

AAAHHHHH!!!!!

I knew it was something dumb.  Monday it started working just fine.  Couldn't figure out why.  Shoulda known.  Been using civil stuff for so long and always UCS will get you.  Thanks for your help.

Message 18 of 18
maxbondar.usa

Thank you!  I couldn't add points until I switched to WCS (World Coordinate System).  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report