Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3d 2012 Turn off Layout Tools Contextual Tab

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
mtecacad
7871 Views, 22 Replies

Civil3d 2012 Turn off Layout Tools Contextual Tab

How do I disable the layout Tools Contextual tab in Civile3d 2012 so that is does not become active every time I change to Paper Space. I would like the ribbon to stay focused on the HOME tab when in paper space.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: mtecacad

You'll have to go into the CUI editor and remove the Contextual Layout Tools tab from the Contextual Tab States - Layout Tools node.

1. Type "cui" in the command line of civil 3d

2. In the top left pane on the "Customize" tab, expand the "Partial Customization Files" node by clicking on the plus sign.

3. Expand the "ACAD" node

4. Expand the "Ribbon" node

5. Expand the "Contextual Tab States" node

6. Scroll down and find and expand the "Layout Tools" node.

7. Select the "Contextual Layout Tools" item, right click and select remove.

8. Click the "Save all customization files button" - the disk icon at the top.

9. Click the "OK" button.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 23
mtecacad
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Thanks Andrew.

I had got that far but didn't want to remove the tab, just wanted to stop it from being selected when changing to paper space (ie have it like a standrd ribbon tab). I tried draging it to the standard ribbon panel but it wouldn't let me.  But not having it there at all is better than having it. Thankyou.

Message 4 of 23
enderak

You can do this without removing them by going through the same process, but instead of removing the Contextual Layout Tabs item, select it and then in the Properties on the right side of the window change Contextual Display Type from "Full" to "Merged".

This will add the various items to the end of whatever ribbon you are already on instead of switching to a whole new ribbon.

Message 5 of 23
mjung

There has got to be a better way to do this. The change from "Full" to "Merged" somewhat worked. This just added the "Layout Tools" to the end of every Tab.

I don't want to remove it but most of the items on the Tab can be found elswhere. I guess removing it won't cause to much grief.

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 6 of 23
mathewkol

It won't cause any grief since you don't like it and you're not using it. If you want it back in the future the CUI can easily be reset.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 23
admin

Our template is saved with layout view showing (by request of our drafters). Every time we open Civil3D or perform a QNEW we are faced with the layout tools instead of the Home tab. It is very disorienting.

Message 8 of 23
mjung

The ribbon is controled via the cui, not a dwg template. The layout tab can be removed on your workstation if you don't want it. All the commands shown on the layout tab can be found elsewhere and are not needed each time you switch to paper space. Not sure what Autodesk was thinking on this one...  

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 9 of 23
admin
in reply to: mjung

Yeah I know I can remove the ribbon tab. The template doesn't control the ribbon, but the fact that the template opens up to a layout (rather than model space) puts the ribbon into the layout mode by default, until the CUI is modified as mentioned above.

Message 10 of 23
breichel1
in reply to: admin

This worked for me with the Layout Tools. How about doing this with other ribbon items that do not allow you to change from full to merged? For instance, Point Selected in the CUI. I want to be able to keep the Home tab in focus so that I can see the Layer Manager tab and manipulate the layers that points are in. This is just an example. I would like to modify alot of the ribbon items in this fasion. Thanks. 

B. Reichel

Windows XP - 32bit
Nvidia NVS 285
Core 2 Duo @ 3.00 GHz
4 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2012
Message 11 of 23
enderak
in reply to: breichel1

Set RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT to 0 and see if that does what you want...

Message 12 of 23
admin

I guess RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT does help, though of course it applies to more than just the layout tab during opening.
Message 13 of 23
enderak

admin, see breichel1's request just above my reply. He was asking for doing this with more than just the Layout ribbon.

Message 14 of 23
admin

Ah. I see.
Message 15 of 23
breichel1

RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT is just what I was looking for. I'm coming from C3D 2009 and I am digging the ribbon. Just need to get it to behave like I want. Thank you.

B. Reichel

Windows XP - 32bit
Nvidia NVS 285
Core 2 Duo @ 3.00 GHz
4 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2012
Message 16 of 23
andrewpuller3811

Admin,

Look into the acaddoc.lsp file in help.

If you put "Tilemode 1" in your acaddoc.lsp file, every time you open a drawing or create a new drawing, civil 3d will switch to moelspace.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 17 of 23
Cadguru42
in reply to: breichel1

I understand wanting to see the layer control almost all the time.  So, I did it by just turning on the old toolbars for layouts and properties.  I place them right below the ribbon so they are always on.  This means it doesn't matter what ribbon tab is "on", I'll always have access to the layers and other properties.  The old layers toolbar also runs faster than the .NET ribbon one.

I never understood the ribbon idea much.  It works for MS Office, but for CAD I never saw the need.  I use it of course, since Autodesk has forced us to, but the old toolbars are much better at some things than the ribbon.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 18 of 23
jlawrence

I, too, would love it if this tab didn't become active every time I switched to Paper Space. I don't want to delete the tab as I do in fact use it on occassion, just not more than about 1% of the time. (I use Paper Speace for many types of editing, not just views.) I'd prefer not to merge it, either, as this condenses so many of the other ribbons' menu items. The RIBBONCONTEXTSELECT variable seemed like a good choice, however whether set to 0 or 1, I can see no difference in how the ribbons operate.

Perhaps this is better for the "Wish "List" discussion, but it would be nice IMHO that when adding these "new and improved" features, that Autodesk would allow for more control options. ...Or maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, which I hope is the case?!

Message 19 of 23
Brian1
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

I like the direction Andrew is going.  I have a suggested alternative.  If you want the Home tab to display and the (Contextual Tab States) Layout Tools is the overriding behavior for the ribbon, would it satisfy your need to simply drag the Home tab into the Layout Tools and set the Contextual Display setting to Full?  Then change the pre-existing Contextual Layout's setting to Merged. The Home tab takes on Full display while the Contextual Layout becomes an appended item on the ribbon.  From then on you have the choice of toggling on/off the Layout Tools panel by right clicking on the ribbon.

Brian Morse
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2015
Win7 64
Message 20 of 23
bo.martin

To make you template open in model.

Open your Template, switch to model space, save the template.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report