AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 31 of 40 (431 Views)

Re: Civil3D not for the occasional user....

11-02-2012 04:14 AM in reply to: mathewk

@mathewk

Ditto!

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
LisaPohlmeyer
Message 32 of 40 (417 Views)

11-02-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: troma

@troma

I agree with Matt, I share our styles, templates all the time to anyone who wants them.  Our templates are not considered "set in stone", if our team sees that something is missing, then we update them.  We've created templates for the different types of drawings we create, Cover, ESC, Drainage, Roadways, Details, etc.  There are very few times that a style update needs to be duplicated across all templates, in fact, I can't remember it ever happening, but I may be lucky in that respect.  We only do transportation projects and have found the ability to only have to use the OOTB subassemblies to build our assemblies.  I've created standard assemblies on our tool pallettes and they get adjusted to the design parameters of the project.  We spend all of our daily lives in Civi 3D, with very few issues.  We don't experience crashes, corruptions, etc. very often and I believe it is because of our workflow of keeping the object data separate, using data references & xreffing the corridor when necessary.  Even our in-house surveyor says he would never to back to his previous software.  We generate cross sections and material quantities for all our projects.  The dynamics of all these inter-related objects makes it much easier to endure the year+ lifecycle of our miles of roadway projects. 

As far as sharing data, we receive points, surfaces & existing alignment data from consultant surveyors. I have created LandXML files of our project data and shared that with our local DOT office that brings that data into GeoPac, and vice-versa.  The ability to do this has saved many hours of reinventing the wheel for all of us.

Lisa Pohlmeyer

C3D 2012 SP4, C3D 2015
Please use "Accept as Solution" if this solved your issue.
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 33 of 40 (416 Views)

11-02-2012 07:33 AM in reply to: paulhoman
Great post Lisa. I have many people ask me about what new hardwrae is best to use to reduce slowness and crashing. I always tell them that the hardware is only part of the solution. Bad workflow is often the cause of many crashes. Better to work on glthat first.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Contributor
RainierFan
Message 34 of 40 (403 Views)

11-02-2012 08:29 AM in reply to: mathewk

@MattK & LisaP

Just an FYI  I have great hardware and good workflow (my VARs words, not mine).  I think the only thing that I do that's different is that I do mostly municipal roadway design.  These designs are somewhat more complicated than a rural highway or a greenfield subdivision/development...but they are not rocket surgery.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 35 of 40 (396 Views)

11-02-2012 08:49 AM in reply to: RainierFan

You wouldn't be an associate of James Maeding would ya? :smileywink:

Municipal rehabs like Mill & fill; 3 line profiles, etc? I'm getting by and I think Matt & Lisa also do similar work.

The way I see it If you are forced to eat an Elephant, don’t complain about it; Take one bite at a time.

If you are having this kind of trouble even after getting training perhaps c3d is not for you.

Most of the folks on this board are just like you, not acad celebrities, authors or out right sycophants. We have all struggled and pissed and moaned, and sometimes things don't go the way we would like but you can either move on, get help (lots of us have come up to speed thanks to the support of this boards members) or waste your time complaining to a group of people that mostly find the software usable and often fun to use

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
Contributor
RainierFan
Message 36 of 40 (387 Views)

11-02-2012 09:19 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe-Bouza wrote:

You wouldn't be an associate of James Maeding would ya? :smileywink:

Municipal rehabs like Mill & fill; 3 line profiles, etc? I'm getting by and I think Matt & Lisa also do similar work.

The way I see it If you are forced to eat an Elephant, don’t complain about it; Take one bite at a time.

If you are having this kind of trouble even after getting training perhaps c3d is not for you.

Most of the folks on this board are just like you, not acad celebrities, authors or out right sycophants. We have all struggled and pissed and moaned, and sometimes things don't go the way we would like but you can either move on, get help (lots of us have come up to speed thanks to the support of this boards members) or waste your time complaining to a group of people that mostly find the software usable and often fun to use

Joe, it's not training. It's not workflow.  It's not my hardware.  It's the product. Your analogy of the elephant may be spot on...but I beleive I'm entitled a candid and sincere assessment of the product I have paid large sums of money (purchasing and supporting).  Sorry if that bothers you.  ~Over and out on the subject~ 

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 37 of 40 (367 Views)

11-02-2012 12:18 PM in reply to: mathewk

Matthew, Joe, Lisa

I'm inclined to agree.  For most cases anyway.  We were quite paranoid about it when we first started into C3D.  And still, I think if I got a drawing from someone that had a nifty little label doing something I didn't know could be done, sure I would look at how it worked and make use of that knowledge.  But as you say, it shouldn't really be a big deal day-to-day.  So can I convince the powes that be in my office that we don't need to export to acad every time before we send out a drawing?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 38 of 40 (366 Views)

11-02-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe

You have that elephant line saved on your computer so you can paste it in whenever you feel the need, don't you! :smileylol:

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 39 of 40 (361 Views)

11-02-2012 12:28 PM in reply to: troma

@troma

Just taking advantage of technology... Macros baby :smileywink:

macros.PNG

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 40 of 40 (350 Views)

11-02-2012 02:53 PM in reply to: RainierFan

RainierFan wrote:

@MattK & LisaP

Just an FYI  I have great hardware and good workflow (my VARs words, not mine).  I think the only thing that I do that's different is that I do mostly municipal roadway design.  These designs are somewhat more complicated than a rural highway or a greenfield subdivision/development...but they are not rocket surgery.

Rocket surgery. That's funny.

You should hang out here more. We could use the levity.:smileywink:

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs