Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D & Setout

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Buzz12345
291 Views, 2 Replies

Civil3D & Setout

One of the main reasons that we're not moving to Civil3D for production use is that we lack the means to export data to our datalogger. At the moment we use LDT2005 and Trimble Link to export complete road models to our TSCe. Exporting road models means that the field operators are able to set out any point on the road model that they choose on site - it has significant advantages over creating static points for use in the data logger. It means more flexibility for the field operators and it's a lot quicker creating the setout dataset.

The look of the new Survey 2005 module gives me hope that some future incarnation of Survey will sit on Civil3D, however I believe that Trimble Link is provided by Trimble themselves, so we're waiting on them.

There are various possibilities for getting data from Civil3D to the TSCe via LDT2005 using either LandXML or the new "Extract Civil3D data..." command. Or there may be possibilities of transferring data via Trimbles own software: Trimble Geomatics Office. I'm concerned that any process that involves several steps (like these ones that I've mentioned) is more error-prone, and requires testing.

I was wondering if anyone has faced this challenge and how they resolved it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Michael
LDT2005SP1 & Civil3DSP1
Michael
AEC Collection - Civil3D 2023 & Infraworks 2023
www.foxsurvey.co.nz
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Buzz12345

Hi Michael, I don't know much about what you are referring to but, you mention that you can transfer the data via LandXML. Civil3D has the ability to export it's data via LandXML so that may work for you. -- Brian Hailey LDT2005 C3D2005 XP Pro - SP 2 P4 2.8GHz 1.00 GB of RAM "Buzz123" wrote in message news:14062317.1106251149879.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > One of the main reasons that we're not moving to Civil3D for production > use is that we lack the means to export data to our datalogger. At the > moment we use LDT2005 and Trimble Link to export complete road models to > our TSCe. Exporting road models means that the field operators are able > to set out any point on the road model that they choose on site - it has > significant advantages over creating static points for use in the data > logger. It means more flexibility for the field operators and it's a lot > quicker creating the setout dataset. > > The look of the new Survey 2005 module gives me hope that some future > incarnation of Survey will sit on Civil3D, however I believe that Trimble > Link is provided by Trimble themselves, so we're waiting on them. > > There are various possibilities for getting data from Civil3D to the TSCe > via LDT2005 using either LandXML or the new "Extract Civil3D data..." > command. Or there may be possibilities of transferring data via Trimbles > own software: Trimble Geomatics Office. I'm concerned that any process > that involves several steps (like these ones that I've mentioned) is more > error-prone, and requires testing. > > I was wondering if anyone has faced this challenge and how they resolved > it. > > Any comments would be appreciated. > > Michael > LDT2005SP1 & Civil3DSP1
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Buzz12345

Michael,

I think your best bet will be XML. This work fine and you have your model in Land Desktop. Once it is there you should have no problem uploading that through Trimble Link. Unfortunately you can not upload the road and cross sections that some people want but if it is only a surface you are after XML will work just fine. I know Trimble is working on a version for Civil 3D but I am pretty sure they are waiting on the API to be released so they can access the corridor model.

Robert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report