Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d contours from existing polylines

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MKH-VB
10036 Views, 10 Replies

Civil 3d contours from existing polylines

trying to create a model from existing polylines (at elevation).  I have created a surface, went to definiltion, drawing objects, but there is no "polyline" option there.  I must be missing something.  How can I create a c3d model from existing polylines?  Thanks.

MKH

mkh
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
awood
in reply to: MKH-VB

Instead of the Drawing Objects option use the Contours option under the surface definition.

HTH

AWood

Message 3 of 11
Adam_Farnsworth

And when adding the polylines as contours, play with the weeding and supplementing factors to make sure the surface is modeled as close to what you want as possible.

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 4 of 11
MKH-VB

thanks for the help guys. Just what I needed.

mkh
Message 5 of 11
jeremy.2012
in reply to: awood

I was able to make a surface but when I try to at elevation labels, no figures show up after I drag it across my polylines.  Does it make a difference that my plines (that are at elevation) aren't continuous contour lines around the entire drawing?

Message 6 of 11
BrianHailey
in reply to: jeremy.2012

When you are adding contours to a surface, make sure you toggle on all the minimize flat areas options. Here's why: http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/adding-contours-to-a-surface-youre-doing-it-wrong/

Jeremy: You don't label the polylines, you label the surface. You need to change the style of the surface to display contours and those you label.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 11
JamaL9722060
in reply to: awood

I’m encountering the same issue and couldn’t know how to build a contour surface from polylines with elevations

The contour option doesn’t build a contour surface from polylines!

Clip_373.jpg

Clip_374.jpg

Where might be my mistake?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
Message 8 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: JamaL9722060

Make sure you select all of the polylines at once to add as Contour data, make sure the Surface style is set to display the contours.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 11
JamaL9722060
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks you Jeff for the answer,

1. I selected them all

Clip_381.jpg

Clip_382.jpg

1. All what I got is just the boundary (yallow)! not contour lines!

Clip_383.jpg

1. Which surface style should I apply?

Clip_384.jpg

What might be the issue then?

Jamal Numan
Message 10 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: JamaL9722060

See attached - you need to set the interval and Display options as well as ensuring you start off with a decent template.

By the way, have you considered a C3D training course or purchasing a book (Mastering Civil 3D 2013 is a good one) and working through the tutorial exercises??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 11 of 11
JamaL9722060
in reply to: neilyj666

Many thanks neilyj for the help,

I got an introductory course but sounds not to be sufficient! Sure, I’ll be looking at the book you have recommended and other tutorials. As you know, never happen that a single training can cover all topics.

I love the way you answered my questions! Screenshots! Much better than words!

Clip_393.jpg

If your time permits, may you please have a look on the thread below. This thread is still unsolved.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Acquiring-the-x-y-z-points-of-an-alignment/m-p/379483...

best

Jamal

Jamal Numan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report