Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d 2012 on Windows Xp

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
manateejim
686 Views, 6 Replies

Civil 3d 2012 on Windows Xp

Is any one running civil 3d 2012 in a 32 bit windows xp environment.  Unfortunatly I work for the government and they don't want to buy "wizbang" windows 7 machines for only certain departments.  Can any one tell me if it is worth arguing just to put 2012 on our old machines.  Also we are on Civil 3d 2010.

-Jim

Microsoft Windows Xp Pro Version 2002 SP3

Intel Xeon CPU

2.93 ghz, 3.23 GB Ram

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: manateejim

I would suggest not but you could always download the trial version and see how it performs before spending any money but the machine in your signature would be at the lowest end of the recommended system requirements. You should also bear in mind that Civil 2012 objects are not compatible with Civil 2010 objects (a particular gripe of mine) or indeed any other earlier versions (incl 2011).

I'd guess it depends on the type of work you do e.g. size of surfaces, corridors etc etc but I think it wouldn't be worth the hassle.......

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: manateejim

What's your CPU?  There have been quite a few different Xeon models that ran at 2.93 GHz, and performance varied a lot.  If you have Xeons in there, then you probably also have room to expand, so as long as the chip isn't too old, you could conceivably just throw in some more RAM and install Win 7 x64 on the machines you already have.

Although regardless of what it takes, my recommendation is that if you're going to be using C3D 2012, you should be on Win 7 x64.  When you're running a $7000 state-of-the-art application, I wouldn't say it's "wizbang" to want an OS that isn't ten years old and almost dead.

Sinc
Message 4 of 7
manateejim
in reply to: Sinc

Thanks alot for the honest answer.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
manateejim
in reply to: Sinc

Thanks Sinc

my cpu is a Xeon w3450

Guess I better add that to my tag.

-Jim

Message 6 of 7

I know that governments work slowly, but Windows 7 was released in October 2009, and Microsoft stopped mainstream support of Windows XP in April if 2009. The best investment in your current hardware would be to upgrade the SO. Adding more RAM would be nice as well.

That said, we did do work in both 2011 and 2012 to try to reduce the memory use on the 32 bit versions, but you are still constrained by the 2 gig memory limit that Microsoft added to XP when it was released in 2001.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 7

Thanks Pete

I will forward this on to the powers that think they be.

-Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report