Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D surface problem

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mushroom0320
894 Views, 13 Replies

Civil 3D surface problem

Hi, 

I'm new to civil 3D, never use it before but familiar with normal autocad. I would like to use civil 3D to compute the earthwork volume. I know that to do this, i need to create a surface in civil 3D first. The problem is how i create the surface ? 

I have a topo drawing provided by the surveyor but i do not have the raw data. How do i convert the topo drawing to the tin surface in order for me to compute the earthwork volume ?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
NathanBee
in reply to: mushroom0320

A search on these discussion groups might help. For example: this.

Creating a surface from (sometimes incomplete) data provided by surveyors has been covered many times before.

The Help and tutorials are also other great places to look.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 14
tcorey

Mushroom, you need to provide more information if you want a helpful answer.

What exactly do you have in the existing drawing? Points? Contours? Polylines that represent breaklines? You have to help us before we can help you.

Perhaps if you post your drawing someone will take a look, but in the mean time, I suggest you go to YouTube and search for Civil 3D Surface. After you're comfortable with surfaces, search for Civil 3D Volumes.

Good luck.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 14
neilyj666

I'd echo Tim's response and say that until we know what you have in your drawing there are many possibilities to create a surface. Either post your drawing or WBLOCK out a representative sample of the objects in it

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 14

I would also recommend the Getting Started videos under Help. There is one for creating surfaces.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 14
blt
Advocate

Sometimes the Surveyor can provide a Civil3D drawing with the existing surface already created.

Bryan Thorp, PLS
Civil 3D 2017 SP1
Dell OptiPlex 990 Workstation
Intel I7
16 Gig of RAM
Message 7 of 14
ericcollins6932
in reply to: blt

Or a LandXML export of the surface that could be imported.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 14
mushroom0320
in reply to: tcorey

Hil,

Thanks for the reply. I have go through some tutorial provided by autodesk, but the tutorial is teach how to create surface using raw data doesn't mentioned how to create surface from the survey drawing. I attached herewith the drawing i have for reference.

Sample Layout.JPG

The image indicate the layout that i wish to create. The green line represent a platform at EL 214m. The Magenta line is represent the road which is at a higher elevation, range from EL 219m to 223m. 

The question i wish to ask is
1) how to create a flat platform in the surface? Is it using feature line, assign elevation and finally add to surface as breakline ?

2) if i want to grade/slope the road to the platform and after the platform i want to grade it to the existing surface, what is the best way to do it ?

Appreciate if can provide any advise or refence on advice on this. 

Thanks in advance

Message 9 of 14
NathanBee

First of all, it looks like you are missing some survey information (to the N, E and W of your site).

As to your questions:

1) I would use a feature line for your platform, because going forward, you are going to find it easier to interact with gradings you will create using this.

2) All depends on what you maximum slope allowed is. You could create the road as a feature line and then us gradings to find a uniform grading that looks good and extends to your platform (a varying batter would look a bit funny IMHO).

Then you could use grading out from the platform FL to the existing and find where it matches your grading down from the road. Edit your gradings back to where they intersect and you should have something resembling a solution.

Bon apetit!

Message 10 of 14
mushroom0320
in reply to: NathanBee

Do you have any similiar tutorial or reference regarding to this ?

Message 11 of 14
NathanBee

This one is for 2011 but is still applicable today.

Look under the gradings chapter; there should be a few things there to help you.

Message 12 of 14
ericcollins6932

Draw a feature line at your datum elevation. Then right click and add it to surface as break line, specifying a new surface while doing so.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 13 of 14
mushroom0320

Hi, 

I read the reference that you provide still cant figure how to do it. haha, maybe i'm too dumb! 

Let say the magenta line is at EL 223 and the green line is at level 214. I would like to grade from EL223 to EL 214 follow a 4:1 slope. how should i do it ? Should i grade it to surface, distance or elevation  ?

Thanks.

Message 14 of 14

Draw a feature line starting at 1 corner of your green box and enter its elevation 223. Click the other corners entering the same elevation. You could then do grading to elevation, using 214 as your target and a slope of 4:1 to achieve it.

Same along the road, click along the road edge, entering your elevation or edit them after and set a constant slope as desired.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report