Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D surface from GIS data

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
rschaff
925 Views, 15 Replies

Civil 3D surface from GIS data

I created a shape file of the contours from a Lidar raster image. When I create the surface the contours ic can are not closed or as they appear in gis? Cad 2013 gis 10.1

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: rschaff

Not sure what you're trying to say.  Can you attach a screen shot?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 16
rschaff
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I will try this in 2010. In gis the contour lines create a closed polygon and in cad they are not. see attached

Message 4 of 16
rschaff

Attached is the cad version

Message 5 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

What are the steps you took in creating this surface??  Was it a .shp file?

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 16
rschaff

In gis I have a Lidar raster image. I created a tin surface then created the contours from the tin and export them out to a shape file. (The gis pdf file attached.)In cad I created a surface from create surface from gis data pull down, selected the shape file (.shp) this creates the civil 3d surface as seen (cad pdf file). Most of the time things work correctly but in this case something is incorrect.

Message 7 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

Attach the .shp file.

Todd Rogers
Message 8 of 16
rschaff

Shape Files are too larfe to attach and there are 7 files

Message 9 of 16
rschaff

i have attached the location to a ftp site containing the files

ftp://ftp.sfwmd.gov/incoming/Contour_Detail/

Message 10 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

Ok.  I brought the surface in.  I think it's your .shp file.  I have seen this before.  I have a program that I can open the .shp file up in and re-export it out.  I will keep you posted.

Todd Rogers
Message 11 of 16
Murph_Map

1. What is the surface style for contours settings? Are the countour intervals set right?

2. Why not just bring the Lidar data into Civil3D and bypass ESRI?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 12 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Murph_Map

I see what he is saying Murph.  I got the .shp file from him and I created the surface for him from GIS data.  I also tried opened it in Global Mapper, exported it back out and the contours are still jacked up.  I guessing it's the .shp file itself.

Todd Rogers
Message 13 of 16
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

I see what he is saying Murph.  I got the .shp file from him and I created the surface for him from GIS data.  I also tried opened it in Global Mapper, exported it back out and the contours are still jacked up.  I guessing it's the .shp file itself.

Ok, I was getting ready to download the data and see I got ArcMap 10.1 on the other PC to check it out. 🙂

Murph
Message 14 of 16
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

The shp file displayed fine in ArcMap and ArcScene. there are 132026 plines in the shp file and 10'-32' in elevations are at 1 foot contours. I supect that's its too much for Civil3D to handle at one time.

Try using a spatial query when converting it to a surface.

Murph
Message 15 of 16
ToddRogers-WPM

It looks fine in Global Mapper as well. It should work with Murph's solution.
Todd Rogers
Message 16 of 16
AllenJessup

Have you tried the old fashioned way. Use Mapimport and bring the contours in to a drawing with the elevation data then query them in to a new drawing and use the contours as breaklines to create the surface.

This doesn't answer the question of why it isn't working the way you're doing it. But if you need to progress the job it might get you going.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report