Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D plan production and data shortcuts for profiles

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dkjohnson
841 Views, 5 Replies

Civil 3D plan production and data shortcuts for profiles

I am hoping someone has run into this problem in Civil 3D 2014 and has a solution.

I am using plan production to create sheets.  I have data shortcuts in the file I have created my viewframes in and I am creating sheets from this file. I have alignment, profile and surface shortcuts.  When I go into my "cut" sheets that were created through plan production my profile shortcuts do not show up.  When I try to reference the profile shortcuts the command is gray.  I have tried everything to force the command to become active.  I have saved the file, recut sheets multiple times and even promoted the profiles in the viewframe file to see if that made a difference.  I am wondering if this is a bug in 2014?  If not and someone knows a fix I would really appreciate the information.

My viewframes and matchlines do not show up in the cut sheets either.  I have the viewport set to plan view in the template.  Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Deb Johnson

Jorgensen Associates

Jackson, Wyoming

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: dkjohnson

Can you provide additional info re: workflow? We use Dref's along with the Plan Production sheet tools regularly and haven't ran across any problems or issues like your describing.

Example workflow.

Base.dwg - contains topo survey, Points, EG surface.

Alignment File - Alignment, Assemblies, FG profile, Corridor & View Frames

Which Layout Creation option is being used in the Create Sheets dialog?

Are Service Packs up to date?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
sboon

To clarify the difference between a data shortcut and a data reference.  As a user you can create a data shortcut from your source drawing.  This xml file contains the directory, filename and object information of the source data.  You can then open another drawing and use the shortcut to create a data reference to that source data.

When the software creates a sheet file for you it does not create the data shortcut; it only starts a new drawing from the sheet template, inserts the data reference into it and then saves that file.

I'm not entirely clear about your situation.  Do you have data referenced into your base drawing, which you are trying to show in your sheets or did you create shortcuts from the source data in your drawing and you're trying to get that over to the sheets?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 6
jorgensen
in reply to: Jay_B

This is our workflow.

Create a new file to generate the viewframes and attach the data references for alignments (horizontal and vertical).  We prefer to have a seperate file for the viewframes because the design can become so large with corridors and sections (also only one person can work in the file at a time).  So essentially we have an intermediate file between the design and cut sheets.

Once the viewframes have been generated within this file then sheets are created using those viewframes. 

The sheets were created correctly with all the elements the first few times.  The data reference was changing dynamically because the road design was changing.  I think this may have messed it up for some reason.  I went into the cut sheets and purged, did an audit and saved.  I was then able to data reference in the profile alignments that didn't come across during the sheet creation.

I want to put this out there.  Our road design has changed in length which ultimately messes with the location of the matchlines.  I don't want to recut sheets because there is plenty of work put into them after they have been created through plan production.  How do you keep the link with the matchlines so that matchline text doesn't show up on both sides of the matchline after creating new viewframes due to roadway revision?

Thanks for the help.

Deb

Message 5 of 6
jorgensen
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

Sorry for the confusion.  I need to more specific when it comes to posting on the forum. 

I have alignments data referenced into my cut sheets that were created by the create sheets (from viewframes) command.  I did a purge, audit and save and I was then able to d'ref the profile alignments that were not showing up.

Thank you for your response.

Deb 

Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Hello Steve
That's Very good explanation of the two. Am I to understand the data reference(s) in the sheet file(s) is all that is needed to keep the data current when the source file is changed?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report