Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D objects and coordinate systems

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
demus72
5147 Views, 11 Replies

Civil 3D objects and coordinate systems

I have a drawing with an alignment, surface, and a couple profiles in NAD83. Our surveyor will be setting up some control points for construction staking, and of course, prefers working in State Plane. I have done some research before on this subject but as I recall, Civil 3D objects cannot be transformed using a query.

What is the process to transform Civil 3D objects from one coordinate system to another?

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: demus72

FYI: NAD83 can refer to a state plane coord sys. For example NAD83 California State Plane, Zone 1, US Foot.

If you do indeed need to translate from one coord sys to another, start with the points. Export to an ASCII file, set up a Point File Format that specifies the coord sys of the ASCII file, create a new drawing and assign the new coord sys. Import the point file using the Point File Format you created earlier and check the box to do coordinate transformation if possible.

The surface can be re-created from the points. The alignment can be exploded into a polyline and Map Query can be used. Profiles can be re-created from the new updated data.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 12
stacy.dunn

NAD 83 is a datum and not a coordinate system.  The points could be translated from your project coordinate system to a state plane coordinate system but in my experience this is a bad idea, especially during construction.  A surveyor can use any coordinate sytem that you are working on to set stakes. 

Stacy Dunn
Message 4 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Have you considering using LandXML to provide the data for the surveyors? LandXML will transform the data when imported into another coordinate system. Of course that won't transfom your C3D objects so you would have to repeat the process for every update, but it might be a workable option.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 12
antoniovinci

I don't know US coords system, but I'd bet that "european" traditional approach will work for you, sir.

1] open the Nad83 drawing
2] _ADESETCRDSYS and set the right reference system on Nad83 datum
3] save and close
4] open a new empty drawing
5] _ADESETCRDSYS and set your favorite State Plane
6] _ADEDRAWINGS and attach the Nad83 drawing
7] _ADEQVIEWDWGS to view the transformation result

Now try to input the surveyor's points: how do they fit...?

Message 6 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

Have you considering using LandXML

That would be my first option. Either to send data to the Surveyor or to create a new drawing to set points in the required system. As mentioned. Define what difference there is between NAD83 and State Plane in your case.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Sinc

How do you get C3D LandXML to transform coordinate systems?

I've seen it transform units.  And of course, there's the manual translation/rotation parameters in the LandXML Import Settings.  But I've never been able to get it to do a coordinate transform on anything...

For example, the only way I've ever been able to transform a Surface is to run a Map query on the TIN triangles.  Other things have to be exploded or exported to plain Autocad entities, like tcorey said, then a Map query will work on them.  I've never had luck with LandXML (even if everything could be exported/imported via LandXML...).

Sinc
Message 8 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: Sinc

You are correct that C3D does not transform LandXML data Richard. As stated in the help system:

"It is important to note that LandXML does not transform coordinate systems automatically. Therefore, no specific coordinate system transformation is applied other than what is specified by the translation and rotation settings. For more information, see Translating and Rotating LandXML Data in theAutoCAD Civil 3D Help."

Perhaps the surveyors have access to software that can read and transform LandXML data for their purposes. I think some of Bentley's software can transform LandXML data. Perhaps Carlson and Trimble as well.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 12
AllenJessup

For point transformation I rely on good-old CORPSCON. It's the basis of any transformations in Map or C3D and it's FAST. But it just does points. I have done a few polyline transformations with it. But that's just tedious and unnecessary with Map.

For the rest of the drawing you may be able to get away with using Move, Scale and Rotate (some like using Align). This will depend on the size of your project and the scale factor for your area. If your working in a ground based system this should be adequate.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
antoniovinci
in reply to: AllenJessup

Another "must-have" to reproject every kind of shapefile is the opensource Mapwindow_GIS...

Message 11 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

I suppose you could use Create Blocks from COGO Points, transform the drawing with Map then convert the blocks back to COGO Points.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
demus72

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I must apologize, the drawing I am currently working in is UTM NAD27 not UTM NAD83. So I need to go from UTM NAD27 to UTM NAD83 State Plane. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, I don't have any points. This is a very preliminary design that I traced contours from a Quad map, assigned the elevation to each and then used them to define my surface as contours. What I ended up doing was performing a query on my 3D polylines from my surface and a polyline representing my alignment through Map to transform them to the State Plane Coordinate system. Then I redefined my surface and alignment and was able to reproduce the profile and profile view. It was pretty painless but took some extra time compared to simply having the ablility to transform Civil 3D objects from one coordinate system to another. Maybe with the next release?

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report