Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D locking up during pan when Pickadd is set to 0

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Cre9engr
743 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3D locking up during pan when Pickadd is set to 0

This is related to an earlier problem I'm having with Civil 3D 2014, and it's now reach the stage of critical frustration.

In an earlier post titled "Civil 3D not finishing commands", I was having problems with Civil 3D not releasing objects after opening the object settings dialog box.  The suggested workaround suggested by CAD Panacea was to set PICKADD to 0.  This workaround, while not ideal, helped with the initial problem. I'm now having workflow problems with the workaround.  This could part of the multitude of reasons why I don't like setting the pickadd variable to 0.

Allow me to describe my new problem.  The pickadd variable is set to 0 requiring me to press the shift key to select multiple objects.  I select an object and I need to pan or zoom to select additional objects.  Therefore, my finger is hovering over the shift key as I use the middle mouse button to pan or zoom to the additional objects.  All hell breaks loose if my finger is pressing the shift key instead of hovering over it. Instead of panning or zooming with the middle mouse button, the computer thinks I want to do a shift-scroll wheel, and Civil 3D, not understanding that command, will freeze or crash.  Sometimes, after several minutes, it's able to pull out of the freeze giving me the option to save the drawing.  Most of the time, it crashes and I loose everything since the last save.

Ideally, I want Autodesk to fix the original problem so I don't have to use a workaround!  I do not have these problems when the pickadd variable is set to 1.

In the mean time, does anyone have any solutions to avoid Civil 3D from crashing from an accidental shift-middle mouse button action?

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
-Civil 3D user since 2007
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Cre9engr

"In the mean time, does anyone have any solutions to avoid Civil 3D from crashing from an accidental shift-middle mouse button action?"

Go to the Options dialog, System tab, performance Settings button and turn off Adaptive Degradation.

Go into the CUI and change the Mouse Buttons to call up the ORBIT command vs the Transparent orbit command.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Pointdump

Fred,

"In the mean time, does anyone have any solutions to avoid Civil 3D from crashing from an accidental shift-middle mouse button action?"

Get a mouse with side buttons. There's just too much going on with the scroll wheel to also use it for panning. A side button works much better for panning.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 5
Cre9engr
in reply to: Pointdump

I use my side button as a "hard enter" to repeat the last command, but that's something to consider.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
-Civil 3D user since 2007
Message 5 of 5
jmayo-EE

Since it's introduction I have never had issues with mouse button pans.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report