Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D in Bootcamp on a Mac PRO

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rahulchandy
4864 Views, 7 Replies

Civil 3D in Bootcamp on a Mac PRO

Hello. 

I have been reading through the forums and doing a lot of serches and the answer to my question seems to be convoluted. Some say yes it can be done. Some say no. 

Here is the question. Can I install AutoCAD civil 3d 2014 on a Mac computer in Bootcamp. I have installed windows 7 64bit in boot camp. So I will be installing it on the windows os. 

Here is the system information for the Mac I plan to install it on.

Mac Pro

processor : 6 core intel Xeon 

processor speed : 2.4 GHz 

number of processors : 2

Ram:   24GB

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770

The above mentioned system is not lacking in performance by any means. From what I am told running Windows 7 run in bootcamp on a Mac is exactly the same as running Windows 7 on a PC. 

So can I install AutoCAD civil 3d on the Mac in bootcamp. I know that there will be no support provied, but I just want to know if AutoCAD civil3d will work. I know regular AutoCAD works. I am talking about Civil 3d specifically. 

I am sure there are plenty of users in this community that have tried this. Please let me know what your thoughts are. Where did you have issues. How did you go about resolving the issues. 

Once again, I am just looking for Civil 3d to run on the above mentioned system in bootcamp. Dont care about support. 

Thank you for your input. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cfarrow
in reply to: rahulchandy

I run Civil 3D 2012 in Parallels (Windows 7) on my 2009 Macbook Pro. In clamshell mode, it's actually not much difference from my actual work computer.

I can't imagine you'd have issues running in Bootcamp.

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
Message 3 of 8
rahulchandy
in reply to: cfarrow

Thank you for responding. Can you elaborate on what the "clamshell mode" is.
I tried to load it in parrallels(win 7). But the install fails. It says there is a communication error. Any ideas on how to get around that.

Thank you
Message 4 of 8
cfarrow

Sorry - when I say I run it in "clamshell" mode, I meant I connect an external monitor and close the actual Macbook. My video settings are MUCH less jumpy/laggy when I'm using an external monitor than using the laptop screen.

Having said that, I could run Civil 3D on the laptop screen, it's just not as quick to respond while working.

As far as the communication error goes, I'm not sure what the issue is. I downloaded the full Civil 3D client from the subscription site & install went as expected. Plugged in the serial number for the home-use license from my office & went to work shortly after. Maybe someone else can help with your communication error.

Clayton Farrow
Civil 3D 2017
Windows 7 Professional
Message 5 of 8
rahulchandy
in reply to: cfarrow

Oh ok. I get it now. Clam shell. LOL.. good one.

Anyway, Thank you for the input. I just wanted to make sure I could run Autocad Civil 3d in Paralles (WIN 7). I will try to reinstall it again. 

Message 6 of 8
rahulchandy

So I just wanted to Update everyone. I was successfully able to load AutoCAD Civil 3d 2014 on my Mac in Parallels (Win 7).

I also loaded it in bootcamp mode. It definitely can be done. Both seem to run fine.

I was able to open the program up and run some topos. I am going to do a few testes on profiles and load bigger surfaces to see how it performs. But the good news is that it works. 

Thank you

Message 7 of 8

I am considering IDSP 2014 via parallels desktop (already installed) on my MBP 2011: specs below

Processor Name:    Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:    2 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    4
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    6 MB
  Memory:    16 GB

What has been your experience with loading both in boot camp and parallels with respect to intensive civil 3d crunching?  Please refer to MBP specs for configuration.  We use 3d exclusively for all projects and have created corridors with multiple baselines, regions and surfaces.  In other words there is a lot of potential for the need to work in large, complex 3d source files.  Would really like to utillize one computer for both home and office.  Thanks in advance for you input.  Thanks!

2012 c3d x 64
w7 pro
xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.40 ghz
16 gb
ati radeon hd 5450, 1 gb
Message 8 of 8
Cre9engr
in reply to: MARCFOLSOM7010

I'm running Infrastructure Design Suite 2013 on my Macbook Pro via bootcamp without any major problems.  I noticed the Hydraflow Extensions will occasionally spit out a fatal error while opening within Civil 3D.  It doesn't happen all the time, and you can always close the extension and try opening them again.  My biggest complaint is the multiple monitor support, but I think it's either a video card or a Windows-Thunderbolt compatibility issue.  Autocad doesn't care if I have one, two, or ten monitors.

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
-Civil 3D user since 2007

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report