AutoCAD Civil 3D General

cburns
Message 51 of 60 (561 Views)

Re: Civil 3D for Mac

03-20-2013 02:08 PM in reply to: cburns

(cant edit previous post)

so (as I missed it in a previuos post) this really comes down to the use of .NET

dam thats a real shame - Im guessing thats the only choice they had to make the dynamics work

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 52 of 60 (557 Views)

03-20-2013 02:23 PM in reply to: scott

Yes, I'm a broken record. I'll keep saying this until they revoke my forum membership.. :-)

I don't care what platform they develop for, make it run on an etch-a-sketch if you want.... but when that time comes, hire a new set of developers - don't take the Windows guys away from their job. There is already a host of bugs that need fixed (some for 3+ releases now...<sigh>)...

Pass on those Unix, Mac (or whatever) development costs to the buyers of those versions. Civil 3D for Unix? $15k, Civil 3D for Mac? $15k.  This model is already being used to some extent with AutoCAD for Mac, which costs the same yet has a smaller feature set.

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 53 of 60 (552 Views)

03-20-2013 02:29 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

I agree Randy. I would not want to pay for the development and I bet Autodesk would have done it if they could predict a decent profit from the development costs.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
cburns
Message 54 of 60 (545 Views)

03-20-2013 02:35 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

amen!! Randy

but I believe linux pretty much crushed unix - unix was developed by HP and long out of date and not updated. I believe there was legality over linux being so close to unix (this is what I understand from IT people - Im not an expert)

but dear god does windows suck. it is so poor an entire career has been developed to make it work... Information techician should be 'windows technician'

cburns
Message 55 of 60 (506 Views)

03-21-2013 11:36 AM in reply to: cburns

I think I should clarify that I agreed with randy on the 'I dont care what plat form....make it stable'

not the ' make the mac, linux version more expensive' comment

Its seems this has turned into a PC vs Mac and that is not the point.

The point I was trying to make is that windows will not be on top forever and I have witnessed a large amount of engineers, designers and even owners say they wish they had options (at this time the only other option is OSX or Ubuntu) But again without a version to use, you cant justify purchasing a computer that cant run your main software.

I know a good number of people who where estatic when ACAD for mac came out. I think the same response would be had for C3D.

Distinguished Contributor
ksorsby
Message 56 of 60 (484 Views)

03-22-2013 02:41 AM in reply to: cburns

I've got a couple of Macs and Acad for Mac doesn't have half the functionality of vanilla cad. 

Given that there are still glaring errors and giant bugs in the current release of C3D, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a useable Mac version.

Unfortunately.

Kevin

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 57 of 60 (475 Views)

03-22-2013 04:40 AM in reply to: cburns

cburns wrote:

not the ' make the mac, linux version more expensive' comment

I don't think anyone ever said "make it more expensive". Just let it be self sustaining.

Of course with the additional development staff needed, and only a fraction of the potential sales compared to C3D for Windows, naturally the cost would have to be more 

cburns
Message 58 of 60 (466 Views)

03-22-2013 06:14 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

yes no one said 'make it more expensive' I just couldnt remember the exact wording when I was replying.

I think this all comes down to the shared frustration of this softwares poor stability. After using linux base OS's I have experienced a much more stable environment (not just OSX).

I think at this point we pray that a competitor comes out with a viable option and hopefully its linux based.

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 59 of 60 (462 Views)

03-22-2013 06:20 AM in reply to: cburns

cburns wrote:

yes no one said 'make it more expensive' I just couldnt remember the exact wording when I was replying.

I think this all comes down to the shared frustration of this softwares poor stability. After using linux base OS's I have experienced a much more stable environment (not just OSX).

I think at this point we pray that a competitor comes out with a viable option and hopefully its linux based.

Is the poor stability a function of Civil 3D, a function of Windows or a combination?

Why would a Mac version be any more or less stable?

Any one running C3D under Windows on Mac (via Parallels or whatever its called) who can comment on stability?

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
cburns
Message 60 of 60 (451 Views)

03-22-2013 07:46 AM in reply to: neilyj

I believe its a combination of both and inherent in the windows code.

from what I understand/experienced:

coding in 'C' (linux/unix) is alot easier than C+ (windows) - whichs seems to equal more stability. As if things are easier, they take less time, if they take less time, you have more time to refine and improve the software.

Also there is alot of code still in Win7 (and 8)  that is unused/errors.

In the past several years havent we all gotten faster computers yet a word docs still takes just as long to open and save etc.. = bad/unused code being processed.

You can run ubuntu, OSX (hacked) and Windows on the same machine and Windows is much slower in every aspect - except crashing.

So yes I believe it is the windows code that caused difficulty in creating stability in C3d. However, that doesnt excuse the instability.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs