Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D calculating wrong K-value?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1700 Views, 3 Replies

Civil 3D calculating wrong K-value?

Hi!

I was in the middle of doing some "investigative" work on one of our profiles made in Civil 3D. Im having trouble recreating a profile in a alignment. The one radius that I couldn't insert is 40098.5m, so I set out to calculate the K-value and I can't get it right.

See the attached file for reference. At the top is a cut out from Civil 3D and then you can see my calculations. 

What I suspect is that im not calculating the true values for the length and grade in and grade out to get the right K-value. 

How do I increase the precision or somehow export the values from Civil 3D so I can check if the programme has done it right!? 

EDIT:

I should note that im using Civil 3D 2011 .

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

Civil 3d will label the profile grades according to the styles and settings in the drawing, but it calculates with all of the decimal places that ACad is capable of.  If you calculate the other way

165.957 / 399.604 = 0.415304

I would bet that your grades have been rounded off.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

You are right.

I would like to point out that the changes made in "Drawing Settings - Ambient Settings - Grade" and changing the precision, doesn't seem to affect the profile grid view. This is the right place, right?

I also got the profile right this time, my goal was to copy a profile from alignemnt A to alignment B. I had to go dig in the raw xml file for the exact values and copy those in to a excel sheet and then saving the file to a txt file. After some smaller changes of course. I used "Create profile from file" and got in correctly. 

The error I was making erlier was that I kept using "Free Veritcal Curve" and trying to replicate the radius using K-value, length and radius. Instead I saw that it was made with "Free Circular Curve" and then using the radius to achieve the same results. 

To clarify, I wasn't the one who made the profile in the first place but I usually get these things on my desk. 

Message 4 of 4
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

The settings at the drawing level would apply anywhere that grades would be displayed, unless a child override is being used.

If you right click on the Profile group then you can open the Feature settings that apply to that type of object.

Clipboard01.png

You can also expand the Commands group and change the settings that only apply to the profile editing command.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report