Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D & ACAD 2013 or ACAD 2012 Service pack 2??

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
neilyj666
1259 Views, 13 Replies

Civil 3D & ACAD 2013 or ACAD 2012 Service pack 2??

Can't see many compelling reasons to rush out and upgrade to 2013 based on the currently available info - looks more like a service pack type content upgrade.

Perhaps the Civil 3D 2013 enhancements/new features will make it more worthwhile ....Smiley IndifferentSmiley Frustrated

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mathewkol
in reply to: neilyj666

We'll see.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 14
jmatthei

So you noticed the lack of any real improvements too?

Yeah my next project will be trying to do the site stuff as a pilot project in Revit, so C3D 2013 will be Revit 2013 for me.  The architects say that's where all the improvements are happening, and that it's ready for sites now.

In concept I like the idea - true BIM, one model with the building.

We'll see if it works.  I'll keep you posted.

Message 4 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: jmatthei

I've not heard that Revit can do site modeling. Is it really as capable as C3D for that?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 14
jmatthei

Not sure yet.  There are a few add-ins from Eaglepoint that add to site functionality.  It seems to be weak on corridor modeling, so if we make the switch we might need to keep a few C3D licenses around for those--and import back and forth (sort of like how we have a few Autoturn licenses for when we need to look at trucks.)

But it can do surfaces, assign cross-sectional pavement zones to them, generate subgrade surfaces, and work with curb, sidewalk, fence, and tree entities.  It can generate sections anywhere (not just corridors like C3D), and it can create quantity calculations and link keynotes to specs.  It shares the model with the architects, and Revit MEP can do manholes, valves, bends, and tees--as well as conduits, lights, and duct banks.  Plus Revit Structure can handle utility tunnels.  We have in-house MEP and structural engineers, so our learning curve should be more manageable than if we were a site-only firm.

I haven't started on it yet (it's probably a month or two away), and I'm sure there will be hiccups, but it is very intriguing.  Especially given that we work with in-house architects on most of our projects, it would be nice to share one model for everything and take advantage of true BIM, rather than the half-BIM that is C3D.

Will it fully work?  I don't know--we're going to run the pilot to see what the limitations are, and whether it's yet "ready for primetime".  If not yet, I think it will be soon, in a year or two.  Aaron Maller's posted quite a bit about it on the internet, but I haven't seen anybody else recommending it as fully as he does yet.

Message 6 of 14
Neilw_05

I'm not find any comprehensive info on Revit for Site modeling. If you can post a link or two I'd appreciate it.

Neil

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 14
jmatthei

Siteworks (hardscape + grading)

http://www.eaglepoint.com/products/siteworksforrevit/

LandCADD (landscape and amenities)

http://www.eaglepoint.com/products/landcaddforrevit/index.html

As for the piping - we're relying on our MEP Engineers who have looked at our plans and said "it's easy to do that in Revit MEP.  We have sloped pipe, manholes, valves, bends, and wyes in buildings too."  They've agreed to help with the site piping and setting up part families on the pilot.

Message 8 of 14
Neilw_05

Can the pipe modeling tools handle pressure pipes (i.e. water & forcemains) where there can be any number of profile VPI's without a junction in plan view?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 14
jmatthei

I see that as 3 questions:

1)  Can it (Revit MEP) handle pressure pipe?  Yes - absolutely.

2)  Can it handle bends and PIs and PVIs?  Yes - absolutely.

3)  Can it make the PVIs not show on plan view?  I don't know.  My guess is there's some way to get them to not show, but I won't know until I do the pilot.  Worst case I figure I'll make it some sort of different looking thing and not label it--I figure it won't HURT to show PVIs on plan view so I'll live with it, if I can take advantage of all the other Revit benefits.

Message 10 of 14
Neilw_05

My question was in regards to comparison with C3D's pipe tools which require a plan view node for every profile PVI. It is impractical for modeling pressure pipe networks.

Looking at the links you posted it appears the site tools are not intended to be as comprehensive as C3D's modeling tools, but I can see how it would be useful for the architects to generate realistic site models for preliminary designs and concepts.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 14
jmatthei

Certainly that's what the brochures say.  Our architects, on the other hand, say they've taken plazas and things to construction documents with it.  And regarding C3D's modelling abilities, I'd have to ask:  What does it really model?  When you get away from the roadway corridor, all it's making is a TIN and a pipe network, and there are no solids or other objects that it's making--just polylines and hatches.  If there's something else that will model solid objects, I'm ready to give it a try.

Will it work?  We'll find out.  If it doesn't we'll just have to keep waiting for Revit Civil to really come out.  I'll keep you all posted once we get going on it in a month or two.

Message 12 of 14
Neilw_05

While it is true as you say that C3D only creates TIN models, it also provides comprehensive tools for creating, manipulating, analyzing, and documenting those models and dependent components dynamically. I am skeptical that Revit will be equal to all the tasks involved, but let us know how it goes.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 13 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

One of my complaints about C3D is the inability to get a formation model easily if you are not using corridors. 

If you have several hatches defining paved areas play areas etc etc and you know the construction depth then its a bit of a serious workaround to reduce the areas by the construction depth to obtain volumes. In other software you can define a construction thickness for the hatch and the volumes are calculated to the base of this depth (if desired).

This is one of the things that C3D should be able to do in its sleep but the development seems to be concentrating on the "sexy" things like 3D views etc etc rather than the stuff that is really needed to price work accurately

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 14
Neilw_05

You are right on about the inability to apply depths to gradings. That is one of many deficiencies in C3D's grading paradigm. I am not a fan of C3D at this point and prefer a competitor's product, but if I am to maintain my marketability as a designer I have to be proficient with it.

Lately I wish I were in a different profession.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report