Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Table Settings (ROW HEIGHT)

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
mooremt1
14350 Views, 99 Replies

Civil 3D Table Settings (ROW HEIGHT)

Hey Everybody I searched all these boards and found a couple posts on this but no answers. Is there a way to change the row height in Civil 3D Created Tables (What I'm working with is Parcel Line and Curve Tables). I don't see any options in the styles or table properties menus and changing it in the general autocad tablestyles menu does nothing. Thanks for the help!

Matt Moore
Racey Engineering, PLLC
C3D SP2
Tags (1)
99 REPLIES 99
Message 21 of 100
Jeff_M
in reply to: pcchenard

Yes, the more Kudos, the better chance we have of getting it looked at.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 22 of 100
carlgeiger
in reply to: mooremt1

Select the cells by dragging or shift-pick, In the Properties pallete enter the desired height in "Cell Height". There are several other editable properties.

Carl Geiger

Focus Engineering

Message 23 of 100
Jeff_M
in reply to: carlgeiger

@carlgeiger, yes, that would be nice IF the Civil3D tables reacted like a base AutoCAD table. However, they do not and the row height is not editable.

EESignature
Message 24 of 100
pam.houghtaling
in reply to: Jeff_M

With the entire table showing on your screen, you can simply click the table.  You'll see a number of grippers appear.  Select the lower left one , or the lower right one and drag to change row height and/or column width.

Message 25 of 100
Jeff_M
in reply to: pam.houghtaling

@pam.houghtaling, That works great for an AutoCAD table, not so much for a Civil 3D table which only has one grip for the location

EESignature
Message 26 of 100
tazeman

I have the same issue in Civil 3D 2018. The row height still cant be changed.... good news is that we can still change, modify and alter nearly every other  random setting in the software we pay thousands for. Since this has been an issue for so long and no attention has been given to it I am starting a LinkedIN social media campaign to get some attention. We pay good money for this software, of which, I use approximately 10% of its overall capability. One would think that within that 10%, the Autodesk Folks would throw us a bone by making this basic change. I welcome everyone to like the LinkedIN post using the hashtags #CIV3DcellHeight and #AutodeskJustFIXit.- Here is a link to the post....LinkedIN Article

Message 27 of 100
RandyBenson
in reply to: tazeman

I gave up trying to create a compact version of the (in this case) curve table that C3D makes. I was looking for a way to let the air out by decreasing the row height and the gap between grid line and text, but C3D defeated me.

I found a (Russian) app on the AutoDesk app store, called ‘CivilTable Export toCSV’, which works, BUT it creates a file where all the data are formatted like “C2”,17°52’00””,”300.00”,etc… which kinda sucked BUT I realized I could open the CSV file in TextPad and Search/Replace the quotes away CAREFULLY because I needed to set ‘Block’ selection mode so I didn’t Replace the “ that is the ‘seconds’ symbol in the delta field.

ANYWAY, then I saved it and reopened in it Excel, made SURE to check the ‘Print Grid Lines’ box, and cut/pasted it into the drawing. Close but no cigar. It looks fine on the screen but when plotted to PDF, some (but not all) of the data is printed in an arial font, not my spiffy arch-font). Erased it and tried linking to it instead of cut/pasting. Still no joy on the font front.

SO (in Excel again) I globally set the row spacing to a smallish number, but not so small that the grid lines disappear, and saved the file as a PDF. THEN, I opened the PDF in Acrobat and cropped the image down to just outside the border of the table, and PDFAttached it into the drawing. It comes in too big by 1/3, but it’s adjustable with the grips (which a C3D table isn’t).

So:

C3D -> CivilTableExportToCSV -> TextPad -> Excel -> Acrobat -> C3D. 

Simple.

Message 28 of 100
caddie99
in reply to: RandyBenson

that seems like more work than saving a copy of the dwg and then explode the table
Message 29 of 100
tazeman

The question is, why do we need to? It really is nonsense.
Message 30 of 100
ChrisRS

This post started in in January 2006. That is almost 12 years. (It is an issue for me as well.)

A similar Civil 3D Ideas Post was accepted in April of 2015. The comment was that it was grouped with other ideas and tracked as a Portfolio Feature (PF2426).
That was 2 and one half years ago.

(By the way, there have been no Civil 3D Idea status updates since 10-06-2019, just over one year.)

Wendell ( @BushW ), any update? This is the sort of thing that does not speak well of Autodesk's commitment to their customers.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 31 of 100
tazeman
in reply to: ChrisRS

So True Again please click on the LinkedIn article above and feel free to comment. Hopefully someone will notice and actually do something.....

Message 32 of 100
DBreisch

The fact this is a long standing topic goes to show AutoDesk isn't listening to user concerns or suggestions.

Message 33 of 100
tazeman
in reply to: DBreisch

Please go to the LinkedIn Article and like it. Tell your friends to like it and by all means comment. LinkedIN Article

Thanks for the reply and Kudos. #CIV3DcellHeight and #AutodeskJustFIXit

Message 34 of 100
907Trekker

I just stumbled across this thread thinking surely there must be a fix by now.  Apparently not.

Looks like row height is three times the text height.  I wish we could modify that variable.

My workaround for point tables is to copy the point data from c3d to excel.  Then paste a column at a time to notepad, then into mtext in c3d.  Make sure the mtext's line space style is set to "exactly" or you might run into issues.  I have a template setup so this only takes a bit plus I don't have tons of little line segments.

It is unfortunate that this thread dates back so far.

Message 35 of 100
Incognito_Cube

You know, what's most frustrating about this ongoing issue is the fact that you CAN change the horizontal AND vertical margins in the regular table editor (shown in the attachment). These, however, are only usable with generic data extraction or datalink and are not dynamic as most understand. If there was a way to just get that one little dialogue box option to appear in the tag table style creation menu, my Plats would look so much better, and be far more conscious of space on the pages.

For the time being though, I've been doing what has been previously suggesting; making a table, exploding, and re-arranging. It's a terrible waste of time, so I may have to look into that suggestion made earlier about the Russian app, or whatever, as there seems to be some good consensus behind it from those who use it.

I'm waiting for the day this thread gets a comment showing an update or fix that remedies this.

I will literally vomit out of excitement.

Message 36 of 100
cwr-pae
in reply to: Incognito_Cube

If you find the utility some one mentioned to export a C3D table to csv file the open the file in excel and save as an excel file you can data link to a regular vanilla cad table. Thus you can have a semi dynamic table. To update you have to do the export, save as over the original excel file and update the data link.

As always, a work around is not a solution. Take a moment to vote the idea up if you haven't already. VOTE for THIS 

Message 37 of 100
Incognito_Cube
in reply to: cwr-pae

Hey CWR.

Is there a way to have Datalink work with an off-brand Excel? Like, say, LibreOffice Calc? When I try to start a Datalink it will tell me that no Excel has been found, unfortunately.

Message 38 of 100
cwr-pae

Data links work with .csv, so anything that can save to that format should work. .csv is a comma delineated text file so they can be made with notepad and even the old dos edlin program. I would think any thing that can export to the .xls or .xlsx fromats should work also.

Message 39 of 100
Incognito_Cube
in reply to: cwr-pae

Ahh, okay. That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!

Message 40 of 100
ChrisRS

I commented on this previously. (My comment of 11/11/2017)

Since then, we have past the 12 year anniversary of the initial post.

As I noted previously, Autodesk has "accepted" and "Idea" about fixing this, so there is hope. I am not holding my breath.

There have been numerous workarounds posted. Here is my addition to the workaround discussion:

• Typically Civil 3D tables are out of the way in model space. For publication, the table appears in a paper space viewport.
  • Whatever work around you use, leave the Civil 3D table intact and place the "workaround" next to it so comparisons are easy. 
  • As you refine the project, you can update the Civil 3D table and visually compare the two table and update the workaround manually if necessary. 
  • Comparisons are easier if the workaround has the same cell height and larger text. Adjust the scale of your paper space viewport as necessary.

I hate workarounds. 

Come on, Autodesk. Have some pride and fix this.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report