Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D, Shaft opening

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Luca.Broda
1043 Views, 9 Replies

Civil 3D, Shaft opening

Hello all, 

I am new in the community so i am apologize if my question has already solved but i have not found any solution in the old posts.

As i mentioned in the Subject, I am using Civil 3D to design a shaft in rock. The cross section is a circle with a radius of 2,5m.

I faced the problem by following the same steps to create a tunnel but when I used the command "Corridor", It placed the assembly in a vertical orientation instead of horizontal. Thus I decided to use subassembly composer to create that shape but how can I rotate the cross section from vertical to horizontal? Is this the right path to follow or there is a faster way to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
doni49
in reply to: Luca.Broda

So you're drilling a 2.5m vertical hole in rock and you want to model that?  Corridors/sections aren't going to work for that.

The assemblies will be placed along a HORIZONTAL alignement only.  And a DTM won't work well with vertical surfaces anyway.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 10
Luca.Broda
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don,

yes that is what i want to model. Do you know if it is possible model a vertical hole without Corridors/sections?

Luca Broda

Message 4 of 10
doni49

@Luca.Broda wrote:

Hi Don,

yes that is what i want to model. Do you know if it is possible model a vertical hole without Corridors/sections?

Luca Broda

Being that you're in the Civil 3d forum, I'm assuming you mean by "model" create a DTM.  If that's what you mean, then no -- not unless ALL sides of the shaft taper towards the center as they go down the shaft.

If by "model" you mean to create a 3d model using Acad's 3d tools (faces, solids & such), then you should be able to do so.  But this is the wrong forum for that and you'd get better info in the correct forum.

EDIT: I just noticed that you asked if it was possible to model the vertical shaft "without corridors".  Not only is that not possible, it's also not possible WITH corridors either.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 10

Just to be clear, this is one shaft and not several shafts?  I sometimes will create a surface for a geological rock strata based on several test well borings.

If it is one shaft, I'm not sure Civil 3d is the right tool.  What will be done with the data after you model this shaft?

Message 6 of 10
LyleHardin

Civil 3D doesn't like vertical things. If a slope of 99.9999999% will work for you, then Civil 3D might cooperate.

Message 7 of 10

Hi Brian,
I am sorry, i do not know if the term "model" is correct in that context, anyway I'm trying to evaluate if Civil 3D can be used for tunneling engineering purposes.
Well, I have drawn only one shaft to understand how the software works but in the real project they are three with different dimensions. Anyway, the shaft is only the first part of the project, I will add tunnels and caverns as well. After that the data about reinforcements for the tunnel/shaft have been inserted, I will send the drawing to a structural engineer who will add his informations and so on.

@Anonymous wrote:

Civil 3D doesn't like vertical things. If a slope of 99.9999999% will work for you, then Civil 3D might cooperate.

Yes, I know about that problem, and I was thinking to tilt slightly the shaft. However the problem still persists, How can I create the circular cross section using subassembly composer? I know SAC if I want create a tunnel but for a shaft is different. I attached the picture so you  might understand my problem. The horizontal circle is the subassembly and below that there are the semi-vertical line and the two circles which are the ends of the shaft after the command corridor has been used.

Thanks,

LB

Message 8 of 10
Luca.Broda
in reply to: LyleHardin

Yes I have already solved this problem by tilting the shaft.
Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup

@Luca.Broda wrote:

I'm trying to evaluate if Civil 3D can be used for tunneling engineering purposes.
Well, I have drawn only one shaft to understand how the software works but in the real project they are three with different dimensions. Anyway, the shaft is only the first part of the project, I will add tunnels and caverns as well. After that the data about reinforcements for the tunnel/shaft have been inserted, I will send the drawing to a structural engineer who will add his informations and so on. 

My opinion would be that it's not sutable to that application. If you had a road project with one or 2 tunnels you could do it. But I don't know of any way you could create the type of extensive sub-surface modeling you'd require. The biggest hurdle is that Civil 3D will not allow 2 points with the same X,Y location ot have different Elevations. At least not in the same surface. To handle an extensive undergroung network you'd have to create dozens if not hundreds of discrete Surfaces.

I don't usually try to steer people away from Civil 3D. But if what you're going to be doing is shafts, tunnels and caverns. I'd say find a program that's specifically designed to do that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
LyleHardin
in reply to: AllenJessup

I agree, Civil 3D may not be the best choice for this.

I don't know of any specific software for this, but I bet it's out there.

I would think that Inventor with skeletal modeling would do nicely though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report