Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Questions

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
asuspub
3359 Views, 39 Replies

Civil 3D Questions

Hi guys, can I ask civil 3D technical questions on this Discussion groups?

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
DarrenP
in reply to: asuspub

yea

ask what ever question you have

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 40
asuspub

thank you. i have a problem of creating roadway in civil 3D.

when i create the alignment, it has only a center line. my road width requires 3m on the left and right.

how can i create this roadway without using corridor function. it is because i do not need a corridor, there will be housing beside the roadway.

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 4 of 40
neilyj666

Use offset alignments to get the linework??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 40
asuspub

yea, actually i used the 'create offset alignment' from the alignment drop-down list.

but the elevation for the entire roadway is flat when i 'object viewer' it, it does consist of vertical alignment.

why is it flat? did i miss up something?

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 6 of 40
AllenJessup

Alignments are 2D objects. I think you will need a profile and a corridor if you want elevations. The corridor assembly may be very simple, but you need something to control the ETW grades.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 40
neilyj666

You can use the generic subassemblies (LinkOffsetandSlope??) to define the ETW

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 40
asuspub
in reply to: AllenJessup

what is ETW grades?

i do have a profile, the one which shows the vertical alignment. PLEASE correct me if i got it wrong.

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 9 of 40
Jeff_M

@asuspub wrote:

.... without using corridor function. it is because i do not need a corridor, there will be housing beside the roadway.

I use corridors with housing along them all the time. A corridor need not be a highway...

I'm currently working on a Townhouse project. All the internal drives are defined by a corridor. This image shows the corridor, note that it is all one corridor with many alignments. The intersections have not yet been modelled.

Townhouse Corridor.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 40
AllenJessup

Edge of Traveled Way. Civil 3D speak for edge of pavement. OK. You have a profile to control you're centerline grades. Now you need an assembly to control the EP grades. If all you need is to have the EP grade shown a simple link at 2% or whatever you're cross slope is will do it. They you're simple corridor will be visible in 3D.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 40
asuspub

Jeff, I thought I did not need a corridor. Since that is the case, I got you now.

Jeff & Allen, Is that possible if I request for a procedure video to show how it goes?

I just registered today; I don’t really know how to use this group. Is it alright to post a video here?

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 12 of 40
SethHall

Hi AsusPub-

There are a wealth of training videos available here: http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-8B18E1CC-C1A0-4EB2-9AA2-A48C6AD0CA4-3.htm Including ones that show you how to create corridors.

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 13 of 40
AllenJessup

There are Tutorials built in. Hit F1 for help, Click on pane #4 "Tutorials", select "AutoCAD Civil 3D Tutorials", about half way down that page you'll find "Corridor Tutorials". Between the link to the videos Seth posted and the Tutorial. You should be able to create you're simple corridor.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 40
Cadguru42
in reply to: Jeff_M

Kinda off topic, but I'm curious how you got the parking lot areas modeled in your corridor.  Does that include the curb?  I can't get a corridor to do the curbs correctly on the parking area that is perpendicular from the roadway baseline.  I thought about doing just the pavement, then converting the ETW to an alignment and profile, then doing a corridor with just the curb along that to get the parking lot to have the curbs, but it's not very dynamic and seems to be such a pain to do.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 15 of 40
asuspub
in reply to: SethHall

thanks sethhall

let me take a look at there

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 16 of 40
asuspub

Thanks Allen, i go to have a look.

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 17 of 40
asuspub
in reply to: Jeff_M

hi Jeff, i am asked to do another project at the moment.

i have got some question to ask you.

please allow me to get back to you later. thanks

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 18 of 40
asuspub

when i create the coriddor, it shows error.

the corridor cannot be created fully. why is it?

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 19 of 40
AllenJessup

Can you post more on the error? From the pic you posted it looks like you have an existing surface show with just a border and the proposed surface with border and contours. It looks like the Corridor surface fails to touch down within the existing surface.

Can you show us what your assembly looks line and what parameters are set for it. Also, try setting the existing surface to a style that shows contours or lines and use 3D Orbit to tip it up in 3D. See if I'm right about the proposed surface missing the existing.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 20 of 40
Jeff_M
in reply to: Cadguru42

The corridor I posted does show the curb, but only does so correctly when it is parallel to the alignment. For the current state of this project that's all I needed to develop rough grading.

For the working drawings I will likely employ the use of a different assembly at the parking areas to omit the curb and run the paving to the curbline. Then I would have the Curbs as Featurelines that get their elevations from the corridor surface and offset those to model the actual curb, adding these to the FG surface.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report