Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Often Freezes mid-command when I scroll over a contour line

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
ssomers
3935 Views, 23 Replies

Civil 3D Often Freezes mid-command when I scroll over a contour line

Not sure what is causing this bug. Anyone else ever have a similar issure? It happens during many different commands. The command itself doesn't seem to affect this problem. It doesn't always happen, but every so often, as I'm in the middle of a command, when I scroll past a contour line the program freezes. Sometimes it comes back to life after a few seconds of thinking, but sometimes it just sits there non-responsive forever. It's driving me crazy.

Possible ideas:

-Contour Labels set to "Mask Contour Line Only"

-Dynamic Inputs on

-Selection Preview is on (but it's disabled for "When a command is active")

-Surface is shortcutted into the drawing

-Contours are from an XREF

Would any of these ideas cause this annoying bug?

Anyone have any input?

Thanks a million!

- Shawn
-------------------------------------
Running Civil 3D on Windows 10 Pro
Custom PC with: Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8 core); NVIDIA Quadro P1000; 64GB RAM
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Jeff_M
in reply to: ssomers

What version? What Updates/Servoce Packs have been installed, if any?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 24
ssomers
in reply to: Jeff_M

C3D 2012 SP1

- Shawn
Custom PC with: Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8 core); NVIDIA Quadro P1000; 64GB RAM
Message 4 of 24
Jeff_M

You may want to try turning off Rollover Tooltips. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 24
ballen

I've hard of this issue quite a few times. In a majority of the cases its the graphics hardware that isn't quite working correctly with C3D.

Some things to try:

1. Disable Rollover Tips (already discussed)

2. Toggle Hardware Accelaration On/Off

3. Update/Rollback your graphics driver.

Autodesk released a certified hardware/driver site a while back. Try checking this against your current drivers.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 24
ssomers

Disabling rollover tooltips seems to have had a positive effect. I haven't run into the problem again yet, but it was so sporadic before that I can't be sure yet that I won't run into it again. Thanks for the tips!

- Shawn
Message 7 of 24
ssomers

UPDATE:

It froze just now and I had tooltips off. It had been operating pretty smoothly for a while. I was moving a multileader by its grips when I scrolled over a contour line and it froze. I've turned off hardware acceleration now... I'll see if that has any effect.

- Shawn
Message 8 of 24
ssomers

UPDATE 2:

Hardware acceleration didn't seem to have anything to do with it. It froze again. In general, the program is moving very fast on my machine, so something is hanging up with respect to the contour lines. 😞 I don't think it's a hardware issue.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

- Shawn
Message 9 of 24
ssomers
in reply to: Jeff_M

UODATE 3:

I've ruled out contour label mask settings and dynamic inputs. Also, the surface of this drawing is not shortcutted in, but the surface is in the base drawing and the base is xreffed into the drawing in which I'm having problems. I didn't seem to have problems when working in the base. I've also ruled out a difference between working in a viewport and working in the model tab, as there is none.

The only thing that prevents it so far is turning off OSNAP. If OSNAP is off, then the crosshairs don't want to snap to the contour lines when passing over them. Why would snap be causing this?

Any suggestions?

I'm at my wit's end with this stupid problem.

- Shawn
Message 10 of 24
ssomers

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this, but this issue is getting really frustrating. I've restarted AutoCAD 3 times in the last 10 minutes all because of the same freeze problem. Sometimes I can barely get through three commands after rebooting before it freezes again.

- Shawn
Message 11 of 24
wfberry

Just for the heck of it, try a different brand graphics card.

Bill

Message 12 of 24
ssomers
in reply to: wfberry

I don't think that's it. My coworker has an identical hardware setup and he says he's never had this problem. And anyways, I work for a small company, and we don't have any extra graphics cards to swap in.

- Shawn
Message 13 of 24
wfberry

That makes it easy.  The two of you swap cards.

Bill

Message 14 of 24
david.zavislan

Toggle off SELECTIONCYCLING.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

It happens to ours sometimes when in a command and moving over civil points with the point style as the X inside the O (pdmode 35). If OSMODE is 107 (end mid nod int ins) it looks like acad tries to calculate every endpoint, intersection, midpoint etc. on every point symbol. The farther zoomed out and the closer the points are to eachother the slower it goes. I usually toggle F3 to turn off osnaps when rolling over stuff like this. That or turn off some of the osnaps.

Message 16 of 24
ssomers
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you are on to something. For the last few days I've turned off some of the Osnap settings I typically keep on and it "seems" to be working. I knock on wood when I say that though. -Shawn
- Shawn
Message 17 of 24
bydesign99

I'm having the same issues, so frustrating.  Tooltips off, OSNAPS off. Did you ever find resolution?

Message 18 of 24
ssomers
in reply to: bydesign99

I found that simply turning off some of the osnap settings (intersection in particular for some reason) and turning off "selection preview when a command is active" in the options has solved this issue. I haven't experienced this crash since adjusting these two things.

Hope it helps you too.

- Shawn
Message 19 of 24
mohan_s

1. If any antivirus running just stop all of its services by using services.msc command.

2. Update display drivers from the chipsets home site and not from the drivers CD/DVD came with it.

MohanS

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 20 of 24
chris

I know this is an old post, but I was having the same issue in Civil 3D2015.  The only previous solution I could find was to turn off my osnaps, which was a real nuisance since you need them for most everything.  I tried the other suggestions in this post and they did not for me.  I found that by turning off the apparent intersection osnap, this glitch improved but did not go away entirely.  Turning off the intersection & apparent intersection eliminated it completely.  At least now I only have to manually snap to intersections instead of all snap options..............

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report