AutoCAD Civil 3D General

*Jon Rizzo
Message 11 of 17 (60 Views)

Re: Civil 3D Initial Impressions, Take 2

02-04-2004 06:50 AM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
Thanks for clearing that up. Unfortunately, I don't think that the program works well OR fast. It works 'OK' for certain things & power users will be able to take advantage of it to some degree, but the way it stands today, I would have a hard time convincing most engineers here that the program is good for little more than a product demo. It sure is good at the demo, though... That's not to say it won't get better, but if past performance is indicative of future results, it is going to be quite some time... -- Jon Rizzo Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. "Doug Boys" wrote in message news:4020fd34_2@newsprd01... > Jon, > > I did not mean to sound dictatorial. I meant that if the software has most > of the functions you want and some more you did not even know existed and > its fast and works well then it is best to try and use its best features > even even though you might have to give up one or two of your favourite > fonts or label arrangements or drafting styles because they are not > included. > > Doug Boys > > "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message > news:401f9fab_3@newsprd01... > > > > Don't you think that sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog? ie: > Don't > > give them what they want, TELL them what they want. Why should I buy a > > Piece Of Software that does not give me the flexibility to make the > drawings > > look the way I want them to? > >
Message 12 of 17 (60 Views)

02-06-2004 08:33 PM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
Jon,
I beg to differ with your reply. I have worked with may engineers. I do not know very many if any that will take the time and effort to learn 3D. Several have touched LD3 with a lot of hand-holding from knowledgeable techs, now 3D is a drastic change and the learning curve starts all over again.
*Dave Lewis
Message 13 of 17 (60 Views)

02-21-2004 08:28 AM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
actually the government banned Aerial recently and switched to times new roman :smileytongue: Doug Boys |> (Who uses anything other than |>Arial font nowadays in word processing?)
*Doug Boys
Message 14 of 17 (60 Views)

02-21-2004 02:21 PM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
What on earth for ? How can they tell the difference ? What is the difference ? Doug Boys "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:ho1f305r7ronemu9jt4va0q9jphmn7tjgi@4ax.com... > actually the government banned Aerial recently and switched to times new roman :smileytongue: > > Doug Boys > |> (Who uses anything other than > |>Arial font nowadays in word processing?) >
*Doug Boys
Message 15 of 17 (60 Views)

02-21-2004 02:36 PM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
Sorry Dave, my brain mis-fired; I thought you meant Roman S Doug Boys
*Don Reichle
Message 16 of 17 (60 Views)

02-23-2004 11:16 AM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
Lemmings, anyone? Why does the herd have to jump off the cliff, anyway? You probably would have liked living in the Soviet Union, and would be clammoring for the return of the Central Committee! And I absolutely hate Arial font. -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc. "Doug Boys" wrote in message news:401F197C.8C5B782@cardno.com.au... > Steve raises an important strategic point. Do we want engineers to use the PC > only to prepare basic design outlines and have all final "presentation" > (construction drawings, report figures, visualizations, etc.) done by a > separate draftsperson? Or do we want the designer to be able to prepare their > own final presentation documents. > > I suggest that the latter option is the only way to go. Engineers want to > prepare their own final output if possible. "Draftspersons" want to move on to > design work. This has been accomplished in other applications. I do not know > many engineers who do not now do their own word processing including letters on > letterhead etc. > > Therefore Autodesk's intelligent objects style-based approach is the correct > direction. This has been very successful for Microsoft Word. Get used to using > styles. If the available style options do not quite suit your presentation > standards, tough luck. Change your standards. (Who uses anything other than > Arial font nowadays in word processing?) > > Of course the software developer must keep the market happy and continually add > available options to allow flexible use of styles. (Autodesk has not done this > with Land Desktop. We are constantly being told that certain options or > improvements are not allowed at present. Autodesk is too slow to respond to > demands for improvements.) > > But this approach raises a real difficulty for engineering firms who are > considering AutoCAD as a possible platform because the cost of licenses is too > high to provide a copy to all staff. It can be done with word-processing > because license costs are much lower. > > This is a strategic decision to be made by Autodesk. One option is to lower the > license cost and try to have a copy on every engineer and draftspersons desk. > Another option is to market two packages, namely a Design package and a > Drafting package. This is the approach currently used by other design software > developers. It has paid off because they can build in more direct design > procedures and optimise the speed and power of the design methods. These > developers rely on AutoCAD for the drafting presentation. Autodesk has not kept > up with this competition. But either way you must buy a package for each desk. > Autodesk should use its market power to make sure that it is cheaper to provide > a license on each desk. Then the engineer can have Land Desktop and hand over > routine drafting to a draftsperson equipped with AutoCAD if that is more > efficient. Or the engineer can do his own final presentation if preferred. > > The current situation is absurd. Management can only afford one package. The > draftsperson must have AutoCAD so he gets the entire package Land Desktop > included for $6000 and the engineer gets none or a copy of AutoCAD LT at most > for $1000. It would be much better and just as profitable (since LT is just > cobbled AutoCAD) to sell two Land Desktop for $3500 each. > > Doug Boys > Cardno MBK Brisbane Australia > >
*Don Reichle
Message 17 of 17 (60 Views)

02-23-2004 11:18 AM in reply to: *Steve Cannon
If you don't want to sound dictatorial, then quit using the phrase "Tough luck". Words mean things. -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc. "Doug Boys" wrote in message news:4020fd34_2@newsprd01... > Jon, > > I did not mean to sound dictatorial. I meant that if the software has most > of the functions you want and some more you did not even know existed and > its fast and works well then it is best to try and use its best features > even even though you might have to give up one or two of your favourite > fonts or label arrangements or drafting styles because they are not > included. > > Doug Boys > > "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message > news:401f9fab_3@newsprd01... > > > > Don't you think that sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog? ie: > Don't > > give them what they want, TELL them what they want. Why should I buy a > > Piece Of Software that does not give me the flexibility to make the > drawings > > look the way I want them to? > >

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs