Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Grading = Crash, Crash, Crash

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
miagear
296 Views, 8 Replies

Civil 3D Grading = Crash, Crash, Crash

I've been working with the shipping version of Civil 3D 2005 and as I feared, the grading is no more stable than the beta versions were. I can crash the program almost at will.

Try to copy a grading feature line = Crash

Try editing the grading style to display slope lines after an instance is in the drawing = Lockup.

Why would Autodesk do this? I am baffled. Getting past the flashy demo ability of the program, it is simply not ready for release.

For example:

Try creating a 3D polyline (feature object) and see how limited the functions are.

How about filleting a grading feature line?

Try sharing something as basic as alignment data from drawing to drawing without out ridiculous work arounds.

And YES the shift to CAiCE road design is a great step but, what about things like intersections, Cul-de-sacs, eyebrows etc? Can't do it!

Here's a good one, create a proposed vertical alignment with vertical curves and labels. Now, try simply moving the curve label....go ahead....You can’t do it!

I'm a big Autodesk fan in general but this is simply inexcusable

I’ve demoed the program to several groups and I can make it look like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but GOD help anyone that buys this thinking they can use it for REAL production in a group environment. I sure don’t want customers coming back to me with their inevitable long list of complaints.

Mia
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: miagear

> I've demoed the program to several groups and I can make it look like the >greatest thing since sliced bread, but GOD help anyone that buys this thinking they >can use it for REAL production in a group environment. I sure don't want >customers coming back to me with their inevitable long list of complaints. > Don't worry - most people have been burned by Autodesk quite enough to fear the first few releases...
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Patch 13c4a. 'Nuff said! -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D/LDT 2004 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message news:417e8868_2@newsprd01... >> I've demoed the program to several groups and I can make it look like the >>greatest thing since sliced bread, but GOD help anyone that buys this > thinking they >>can use it for REAL production in a group environment. I sure don't want >>customers coming back to me with their inevitable long list of complaints. >> > > > Don't worry - most people have been burned by Autodesk quite enough to > fear > the first few releases... > > > >
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Where do you find this patch? "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:417ea63d$1_2@newsprd01... > Patch 13c4a. > > 'Nuff said! > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D/LDT 2004 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message > news:417e8868_2@newsprd01... >>> I've demoed the program to several groups and I can make it look like >>> the >>>greatest thing since sliced bread, but GOD help anyone that buys this >> thinking they >>>can use it for REAL production in a group environment. I sure don't want >>>customers coming back to me with their inevitable long list of >>>complaints. >>> >> >> >> Don't worry - most people have been burned by Autodesk quite enough to >> fear >> the first few releases... >> >> >> >> > >
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Don's pulling out the old history. R13 was notoriously buggy. Bad enough that they had MULTIPLE patches issued. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Oh well..I wasn't planning on using C3D for a couple of releases. In fact I am pretty disappointed with all the 2005 Land/Civil releases so far. Performance is horrendous (ie..Map 3D display manager). Now the big question is...do I spend more money on my subscription in hopes that the next release will improve the performance, or do I just stick with the old reliable and wait to see what others think? "James Wedding" wrote in message news:417eb089_3@newsprd01... > Don's pulling out the old history. R13 was notoriously buggy. Bad enough > that they had MULTIPLE patches issued. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

"miagear" wrote in message news:13676027.1098800268453.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I've been working with the shipping version of Civil 3D 2005 and as I feared, the grading is no more stable than the beta versions were. I can crash the program almost at will. > > Try to copy a grading feature line = Crash > Try editing the grading style to display slope lines after an instance is in the drawing = Lockup. Please submit bug reports (with data files if you can), so that we can accurately reproduce the bug you are seeing and can fix those in the next release/version. > Try creating a 3D polyline (feature object) and see how limited the functions are. > How about filleting a grading feature line? > Try sharing something as basic as alignment data from drawing to drawing without out ridiculous work arounds. > And YES the shift to CAiCE road design is a great step but, what about things like intersections, Cul-de-sacs, eyebrows etc? Can't do it! Some of these are workflow issues, and some might be enhancement requests. If you have specific suggestions, it would be great if you could post each one as a separate topic so others can also respond and attempt to work through this. BTW, I'm curious...were these bug reports/suggestions posted on the beta forums? > Here's a good one, create a proposed vertical alignment with vertical curves and labels. Now, try simply moving the curve label....go ahead....You can't do it! Need details on this one. Please post a new thread. Thanks. -- Himanshu
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I want all the bells and whistles too, but if it doesn't work...
We still use 2002/ldt3 does anybody see any reason to go to 2005? A subscription got us a couple seats of 2004, I loaded it and wasn't impressed. Actually disappointed would be a better description.

John Frank
CAD Manager
ECI Corp.
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

See my post on 10/28 in the land desktop forum about file bloating. "JFFRANK" wrote in message news:11976105.1098996469811.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I want all the bells and whistles too, but if it doesn't work... > We still use 2002/ldt3 does anybody see any reason to go to 2005? A > subscription got us a couple seats of 2004, I loaded it and wasn't > impressed. Actually disappointed would be a better description. > > John Frank > CAD Manager > ECI Corp.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report