Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2014 will not save drawing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
JenniferNolen4057
1148 Views, 8 Replies

Civil 3D 2014 will not save drawing

One of our Dell workstations has recently decided it will no longer save our CAD drawings to the network. Never had this issue before this week, haven't changed anything that we are aware of. No one else is having network issues. We have connected the computer to a different network outlet at another station, that has no effect on the problem.

When you attempt to save, if you watch the command line it will tell you "Cannot save drawing to K/Work Order/Project/drawing name.dwg, saved copy to K/Work Order//Project/(misc letters and numbers).tmp"

It then deletes the original drawing from its location and saves this temp file. Any guidance or help would be most greatly appreciated.

-Jennifer

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Will it save other types of files to the network?

Can this dwg be saved from another machine under same user name

Can this dwg be saved from this machine using another username?

I am trying to determine if it is the filetype, the computer, or the username.

more info please

Message 3 of 9

This machine will save to the network SOME of the time. The drawing is fine if someone else opens it and saves it. We only have one username set up on each computer so I don't know about that aspect of it. I can open that drawing on my machine and it opens fine which leads me to lean towards it being a machine based issue.

Message 4 of 9

If you can open and save the same dwg on another computer it is DEFINITELY one of 2 issues.

the machine or the username.

In either event, it is an issue for your IT guys/gals.

I make no claims to expertise in that arena.

Message 5 of 9

I was afraid you’d say that. We have NO IT guys/gals. I’m it. Unfortunately, I have no expertise in this area either. I was hoping maybe it was just an AutoCAD glitchy kind of thing that there would be a nice simple solution for.

Jennifer L Nolen
Drafting Dept Supervisor

Mickle Wagner Coleman Inc
3434 Country Club Ave
Fort Smith AR
Message 6 of 9

This may not help you directly, but may give you some more info

You will have to figure out what the network glitch is - this is NOT an AutoCAD issue. AutoCAD relies on the O/S for file i/o, so it's just responding to the O/S

In the meantime - note that the .TMP file _IS_ your saved file, so you can rename it to .DWG and use it.

Not efficient, but at least you won't lose data.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 9

That’s what we were doing, just thinking there must be some reason behind it. Very frustrating. But thank you.

Jennifer L Nolen
Drafting Dept Supervisor

Mickle Wagner Coleman Inc
3434 Country Club Ave
Fort Smith AR
479 649 8484
479 649 8486 Fax
Message 8 of 9

@JenniferNolen4057 wrote:
....just thinking there must be some reason behind it....

There is.

Finding it without IS/IT support may be difficult though

In our recent case, we had a DWG storage location that was not compliant with Autodesk requirements.

But it could be things like a bad switch, network card, or even cable.

Does it happen every time for this user?

What if this same user logs in to a different machine and trys to save to the same exact location?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 9
remi
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi

I don't think you issue was it. I recently started having the same issue. It does not happen all the time though. It is happening hit and miss, without any pattern that I have been able to identify. Ometimes an audit will correct the issue sometimes not. I also am not saving to a network I am saving local to my machine to a folder created just for that reason that has worked fine for the last 5 years.

any thoughts

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report