Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2013 - Does it Fix Anything?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
framseur
984 Views, 23 Replies

Civil 3D 2013 - Does it Fix Anything?

We have been using Civil 3D 2012.  When we initially loaded this version we were excited about the possibility of being able to generate intelligent piping system and associated profiles.  As sophisticated as the program may be, the experience took me back to my earliest days of civil design within AutoCAD.

While there may be multiple ways to generate elements, if they don't follow a certain "work flow", they are buggy as can be and correct profiles will not be generated.

We also found that transferring data to and from Hydraflow was also full of bugs. It seems as though Autodesk has given up on further development and integration of Hydraflow.

With every new version, we are full of hope but it never fails, when it comes to practical application, we typically find that there is a glitch or bug that causes a problem, which, by the time we discover it, we have invested so much time and energy that we risk blowing our budget trying to fix things.

My question is, does anyone know if Civil 3D 2013 fixes anything or is it simply more of the same bugged up, temperamental software that never quite works as advertised?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
Cadguru42
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

I agree that a lot of errors are of the PICNIC kind, and I don't expect perfection.  But the most important point made so far, I think, is dasindog's: we all use different parts of the program, so a bug that ruins one person's life doesn't affect someone else at all.  So I'm really interested to know what type of bugs you've encountered, engrtech.

So where are the bugs, please?  What parts of the program are you using?  What parts are dirty, what parts are clean?

The biggest "bug" for us is the one that's actually a Map problem regarding Map (C3D) ignoring the units of a georeferenced image.  In 2013, Map (C3D) tries to reproject an image on the fly to match your drawing's coordinates.    I have a thread started in the Map forum regarding this as well as a SR.  It's a known issue, but in Autodesk's eyes there's no problem, yet many people have this issue where a georeferenced image will be treated like it's meters instead of feet and then be inserted incorrectly.  No other GIS type program has issues like this, especially ESRI's ArcGIS.  

The survey figure issues were mostly fixed by the first updates, but it took a few months.  C3D 2013 introduced the concept of two different types of survey figures: a chain-based figure and a vector-based figure.  There is absolutely nothing in the help explaining the difference, nor even a reason why.  On top of that, the naming convention makes no sense at all.  Everything that's not a raster image is by default a vector object in AutoCAD.  Afterall, AutoCAD is a vector drawing package.  

I've made lots of posts and comments regarding 2013s issues, but by far the largest is the one about the images, at least for us.  That issue, if it's not resolved in 2014, will cause us to stay on 2012 officially until it's fixed.  If Autodesk never fixes it, then we're going to have to think hard about getting a different design software.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 22 of 24
troma
in reply to: Cadguru42

Thanks for the reply.  For me these are non-issues, something I never use.  But I sympathise with your frustration.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 23 of 24
oz333mex
in reply to: Cadguru42

Lovin my 2013. Can't wait for 2014 upgrade. Sorry you're having trouble friend. I never ran into any issues regarding Georeferenced images and I use them all the time. Sometimes:

*If the "world" files are not within the same folder as the images then it has no coordinates nor scale when bringing into CAD.

*Or if the "world" files and images are all in good shape within the proper folders. Then depending on what unit settings the CAD user may have pre-set in  the DWG will affect how that "Image CAD file" behaves when being xrefed into other dwgs. All because of the diffenece in units betwen CAD files (check INSUNITS).

Sorry I'm terrible at explaining things. Trouble shoot with Raster design. It can import/export georeferenced images.

I am having trouble with trimble link after making an upgrade to the collector. But thats a differnt story.

Message 24 of 24
Cadguru42
in reply to: oz333mex

@oz333mex wrote:

Lovin my 2013. Can't wait for 2014 upgrade. Sorry you're having trouble friend. I never ran into any issues regarding Georeferenced images and I use them all the time. Sometimes:

*If the "world" files are not within the same folder as the images then it has no coordinates nor scale when bringing into CAD.

*Or if the "world" files and images are all in good shape within the proper folders. Then depending on what unit settings the CAD user may have pre-set in  the DWG will affect how that "Image CAD file" behaves when being xrefed into other dwgs. All because of the diffenece in units betwen CAD files (check INSUNITS).

Sorry I'm terrible at explaining things. Trouble shoot with Raster design. It can import/export georeferenced images.

I am having trouble with trimble link after making an upgrade to the collector. But thats a differnt story.

Starting with 2013 Map (C3D) treats images the same way Raster Design does on import. It tries to reproject on insertion. The problem is Autodesk doesn't read the units in the geo data of the file. Check out my thread in the Map forum. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/Civil-3D-2013-Map-2013-Image-Issue/td-p/3415105. That explains it better. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report