AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

framseur
Message 1 of 24 (773 Views)

Civil 3D 2013 - Does it Fix Anything?

773 Views, 23 Replies
01-02-2013 07:04 AM

We have been using Civil 3D 2012.  When we initially loaded this version we were excited about the possibility of being able to generate intelligent piping system and associated profiles.  As sophisticated as the program may be, the experience took me back to my earliest days of civil design within AutoCAD.

While there may be multiple ways to generate elements, if they don't follow a certain "work flow", they are buggy as can be and correct profiles will not be generated.

We also found that transferring data to and from Hydraflow was also full of bugs. It seems as though Autodesk has given up on further development and integration of Hydraflow.

With every new version, we are full of hope but it never fails, when it comes to practical application, we typically find that there is a glitch or bug that causes a problem, which, by the time we discover it, we have invested so much time and energy that we risk blowing our budget trying to fix things.

My question is, does anyone know if Civil 3D 2013 fixes anything or is it simply more of the same bugged up, temperamental software that never quite works as advertised?

TomHollister
Message 2 of 24 (719 Views)

Re: Civil 3D 2013 - Does it Fix Anything?

01-02-2013 01:32 PM in reply to: framseur

You should consider that 2013 does fix things, while the possiblity (probability? certainty?) exists that other issues will arise. I have been working with AutoCAD/DCA/Softdesk since 1986 and have never seen a defect-free version. I would guess that users of our competitors' products would say the same.

framseur
Message 3 of 24 (702 Views)

01-02-2013 01:59 PM in reply to: framseur

I appreciate what you are saying. I also have been working with the program since the old DCA days.

I'm not saying there is a better platform. I am saying that, with all of their years developing the program, it shouldn't be as full of bugs and problems as it tends to be.

My problem is that we noticed a lot of these problems in the 2009 version and looked to the 2012 version to fix them but that was not the case.

I see that they are now offering a "suite" package that introduces some more new elements.

I would simply like to see them fix current issues.

I was hoping someone might have, after experiencing similar problems, tried the 2013 version and could tell me if they saw any real improvement.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 4 of 24 (697 Views)

01-02-2013 02:13 PM in reply to: framseur

My perspective…. Each version adds some new bells and whistles, and each version introduces some new bugs. Hopefully the former outweigh the latter. If you’re on subscription, then you’re receiving the new version each year. It’s up to you do decide when to physically upgrade.

How do you keep up with what is new, what is broken, what used to work but now doesn’t, what used to be broken and is now fixed, what features are really cool and bug-free, etc.?  Monitoring the forums, reading C3D blogs, and talking to your reseller will generally cover it. You have to be proactive and that is an add-on to the cost of doing business as far as I’m concerned. I know some people work in a void and install every new version on day 1 and then act surprised when they run into something.

You are already here asking questions, which is a good sign. To answer your last sentence/question, I would say the fair answer is that yes, it’s the same old program with some new features, some new bugs, and some new fixes. If you have upgraded in the past, expect the same type of transition. 

framseur
Message 5 of 24 (678 Views)

01-02-2013 03:51 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Do you guys work for Autodesk???

If not, I would suggest that you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

My co-worker said it best. If you bought a car or a television that was as bugged up as your software, would you see it as your responsibility to go find a fix for the problems?  I doubt it.  So, why would you be so complacent and accept it without complaint when it comes to your software?

Also, I can't speak for your reseller, but ours has provided little, if any real solutions.  I honestly believe we are more knowledgeable than the reseller.

As for discussion groups and forums, sure, if you have endless hours to dig for answers you might get some resolution, and we have done so in the past.  But to accept that as the cost of doing business seems asinine to me.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 6 of 24 (663 Views)

01-02-2013 04:58 PM in reply to: framseur

framseur wrote:

<snip>

While there may be multiple ways to generate elements, if they don't follow a certain "work flow", they are buggy as can be and correct profiles will not be generated.

We also found that transferring data to and from Hydraflow was also full of bugs. It seems as though Autodesk has given up on further development and integration of Hydraflow.

<snip>

My question is, does anyone know if Civil 3D 2013 fixes anything or is it simply more of the same bugged up, temperamental software that never quite works as advertised?

You should take it easy on RK. I don't think he is an employee, and he offers a tremendous amount of positive input to the DG.

You weren't very specific about your pipe problem, perhaps some more detail an you may get an answer that helps.

I've haven't encountered pipe or surface profiles being "buggy", and what's going wrong on you HF transfers? Wrong structure mapping?

I think the term "bugs" is tossed around too easily.  Its a knee jerk reaction for when the program doesn't work the way I want it to work. I've seen many users frustrated with an operation and then the light goes on when they learn the ins and outs.

Hey there is always Mylars and Leroy pens. and remember:

If you are forced to eat an Elephant, don’t complain about it; Take one bite at a time.

You can flame me everyone does :smileyvery-happy:, But RK doesn't deserve it.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Distinguished Mentor
Pointdump
Message 7 of 24 (635 Views)

01-03-2013 03:31 AM in reply to: framseur

framseur,

There's a reason why Autodesk produces "more of the same bugged up, temperamental software." Engineers and surveyors buy it eagerly, hoping that their Herculean efforts to surmount buggy, torturous, overcomplicated software will exclude others from their craft. Same goes for the ridiculous hoop-jumping of college degrees and professional licenses.

There, I said it.

Drink the Kool-Aid. It's good for you.

Dave
Mohave Valley, Arizona

HP DV7 Laptop
Intel Core i7-3820QM 3rd Generation Quad Core 2.7 GHZ CPU
16 GB DDR3 RAM ( 2 DIMM ) / 180 GB SSD
Nvidia GeForce 650M Graphics w/2 GB Memory
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit / AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 8 of 24 (617 Views)

01-03-2013 05:30 AM in reply to: framseur

framseur wrote:

Do you guys work for Autodesk???

No, at least I do not.

If not, I would suggest that you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

My co-worker said it best. If you bought a car or a television that was as bugged up as your software, would you see it as your responsibility to go find a fix for the problems?  I doubt it.  So, why would you be so complacent and accept it without complaint when it comes to your software?

Right, if you bought a Chevrolet that "was as bugged up as your software", you might return it, or at the very least, use it until it was time to buy a new one, right? Then, there is no way you would buy another Chevrolet, right?  See below.

Also, I can't speak for your reseller, but ours has provided little, if any real solutions.  I honestly believe we are more knowledgeable than the reseller.

Can't help you with that much. Shop around before purchasing is all I can offer there.

As for discussion groups and forums, sure, if you have endless hours to dig for answers you might get some resolution, and we have done so in the past.  But to accept that as the cost of doing business seems asinine to me.

A solution to your problem is easy, if we can use the car anology above. Get rid of Civil 3D and find yourself a new CAD vendor (Bentley?).....   What's that? You can't switch because you have tens of thousands of DWG files and your employees are training on Autodesk products?  Welcome to the real world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we can't and shouldn't expect more from software companies, but there is a reality to the situation too. Sitting around waiting for it to happen isn't going to change things. I've made my share of complaints about the software over the years too, and sometimes we see results and other times not, so we do what it takes to work around the situation. 

Mentor
dasindog
Message 9 of 24 (579 Views)

01-03-2013 09:00 AM in reply to: framseur

This is the nature of software development that has major yearly releases. I get my job done regardless of the "bugs" in this software and I am an early adopter. Would I like some features work "better"? Of course. Autodesk is incredibly helpful when you have problems (assuming you are on subscription). And they should be because Civil 3D is expensive. Communicating with Autodesk about your difficulties can get the results you want. There are tons of helpful and knowledgable persons on this forum that will gladly assist in finding solutions.

If you want solutions just ask the right questions.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
jjkain
Message 10 of 24 (524 Views)

01-03-2013 04:20 PM in reply to: framseur

I agree with the original comment. There are bugs and problems that have been spanned many, many releases. I found that Autodesk acts somewhat like a monopoly and doesn't fix bugs simply because they don't have to. We simply have to find work arounds, but we should all be used to that by now....

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs